CCNA Home Lab...will these work

dookdookdookdook Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I know questions like this are asked a million times, but just wondering if anyone with experience could clarify if the routers i have will be fine for doing the CCNA (latest 2013/2014 version)

I've dug around our basement at work and found the following routers:

Cisco 1801
Cisco 1841 (has a 64MB Flash card in, so would that mean this is the 256/64 version which supports IOS15?)
Cisco 2811 (Has a HWIC 4ESW card in it)

From what i can tell, they should all work fine for the CCNA.

Then obviously i need switches, and i'm looking at buying 2 x 2950's and 1 x 3550.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yes, these are more than enough for CCNA... you just need to think about connectivity part (what modules and connections you plan on making, Ethernet only?)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • dookdookdookdook Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cheers JeanM

Yeah, i'll probably by a couple of serial cards and cables too, so i can have a mix of that + ethernet.

Any suggestions on which i should get to match up with the CCNA lab exercises?
    Actually from what i'm seeing, it shows 2 Routers with a single serial port in, and the 3rd router with 2 serial ports in (acting as a hub)

That sound about right?
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I would do the 1841, and the 2811 in addition, I would spend a couple of bucks more and get the 2960 switches and the 3550, then you should be good to go.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    Thanks Mtciscoguy.