Options

Production Support

marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was just planning on doing an IT internship for a pretty large company that has positions open for a Software Developer, Project Manager and Production Support.

My end goal is to be a Network Engineer so I kind of ruled out the first two. I am considering joining the Production Support team. I was reading online and it seems like Production Support is pretty similar to Help Desk which would be perfect to gain some experience. I was just wondering if anyone could go further into detail as to what the tasks are for Production Support.

I just wanted to get a little more insight before I actually applied. I just received the e-mail from the recruiter but I'll probably send him an e-mail today.

Comments

• Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The production support guys I work with do primarily mainframe work... starting/stopping/monitoring jobs, contacting developers, and some data warehouse work. A quick search on Indeed gave me a wide range of responsibilities as far as Prod Support roles go so you might get some varied responses.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    marcj04marcj04 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The production support guys I work with do primarily mainframe work... starting/stopping/monitoring jobs, contacting developers, and some data warehouse work. A quick search on Indeed gave me a wide range of responsibilities as far as Prod Support roles go so you might get some varied responses.

Do you think it would help at all for getting a Networking Job?
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a computer ops analyst right now and prod support is the "next step" for me at my company, or at least where most people in my role go to. However, I am not really interested in the role and my end goal is Network Engineering as well. I don't feel as though more experience with Mainframe technologies is going to help me towards a networking job (someone chime in if I'm wrong here) but titles don't necessarily define the roles. If it was me I would talk with the recruiter, ask for the job responsibilities/what you might be doing, and decide from there. I started at my job as an intern too and although its not my dream job I've learned a bit and its more experience to add to my resume!
    Working on: CCNP Switch