Options

MBA for Network Professionals ?

anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Dear all,

What are your views on pursuing M.B.A. as Network Professionals ?

If 'No', then why not ?
If 'Yes', then why and by what age or time-frame ?

My personal inclination is more towards M.Sc or Masters in IT or even an M.E.

Regards
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

Comments

• Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why not do both?

UMUC offers a dual degree program:

Online Dual Master's Degree Programs | UMUC

B
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have an MBA and hopped ship from Operations/Analysis to IT. From my experience, IT recruiters might be impressed by an MBA, but it doesnt help them place you in an entry level IT position. It signifies more like a commitment to education and learning. Maybe an MBA might help out in a Sales-Engineering role, and I hear those people make a lot of money.

But really, my CCENT helped get me a job much more than the MBA did.
  • Options
    Thanks Burnsie but unfortunately I can't do that program (not in USA).
    Thanks Node Man and I do agree with you. MBA applying for a Network Engineer position doesn't really make sense. Maybe IT Manager/Project Manager or as you mentioned Pre-sales Engineers could benefit from it.

Would love to hear other people's opinions/experiences.

Regards
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I hold an MBA, as I was looking to climb the government ladder years ago. Did it help me land my current position? No. Did it help boost the salary for my current position? ABSOLUTELY! Education is like a certification that never expires, and will be with you forever. Now as I am climbing the ladder in the corporate realm, it again is helping. Costly but worth it to me.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What about an MBA with a concentration in IT or Information Assurance? I'm deciding between the dual-degree and MBA IA degree myself, so I'll be watching this thread.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I'm gonna get one when Im done with my CCIE, and get my BS from WGU.

My reasons are

1. Govt Bureaucrats all love going to UMUC. I live in the DC area so I will meet plenty of them, and this will help me out with getting more contracts for my company.

2. I will be around 36 when I start.

3. My view on network professionals with MBA's, it depends on why you are getting it. Lots of people get MBA's for the wrong reason.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I view a MBA as a way to help yourself climb into or further up a management/project role or to have the credentials to run or start your own business.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it is my own experience of course, but i want to add one cautionary tale - An MBA sounds awesome, until you have one, and you have the debt that comes along with it... Once you have it you begin to see MBAs everywhere. It seems like every college, university and website in the world is selling watered down MBA diplomas.

Now that I have an MBA, I feel fairly accurate that someone with 2 years of experience managing Walmarts at night is more useful than most of the new MBA's without any management experience.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Really depends on what you want to do. Are you trying to stay on the technical side, be an engineer or an architect? Probably won't help too much. More towards the business side, sales, C level etc? Probably a lot more worth your while.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a MBA. It's worth it, especially when you move up into management.
  • Options
    Great insights guys !

Has anyone completed (or in progress) any formal education degree/course to move up in the technical side ? Something that complements experience ?
    Not counting the expert-level certs coz that's kinda too obvious of an answer.

Cheers and keep'em coming
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Try to get the company to pay for it!

My MBA has helped me with IT business centric roles.