Options

SANS Technology Institute - Masters in Information Security Engineering?

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just found out about this today. Apparently they're regionally accredited, plus it's SANS so you know the curriculum is going to be quality. It seems rather expensive, but I'm curious what it's like. Is anyone here pursuing one of their master's degrees or know someone who is?

SANS Masters degree information security engineering - MSISE Degree
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    John-JohnJohn-John Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    $1,250 per credit hour, yikes! plus travel expenses for the capstone. Too rich for my blood.
    Goals for 2019: CISSP[x] CCNA-SEC [x] CEH[x]
    Goals for 2020: OSCP [] eCPPT[] eNDP[]
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've heard good things, but your looking at almost $45000 to complete the Masters. That's quite literally near Ivy League school prices. I dropped them from my considerations base on the fact that they are just charging you the normal price you'd pay to attend their courses. But definitely good material.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I were going to drop that kind of coin, I'd find a way to get into a top-tier school, if not Ivy. Yes, it's a good education, but based on quality of coursework balanced against cost, there are much better values, in my opinion.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I'm currently enrolled and officially starting the program in 2 weeks. I echo everything here: It is pricy but I'm extraordinarily lucky, given that my employer graduate tuition reimbursement is great.

I can speak more on the program once I really get going.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let us know how it goes! Good Luck robicus! It sounds very interesting, like you'll get all of the SANS certs plus the GSE.. I'm not sure if that justifies the cost however.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The sad thing is that $45k would be considered about on par with an M.S. from a state school and wouldn't even scratch the surface of an Ivy or Carnegie Mellon type. Those are like $45k/year.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hey Robicus, keep us updated. I also have very generous tuition reimbursement and am considering the program 2 years down the road.
  • Options
    ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    The Ivies are in the region of $45k/year, not for the total degree. Stanford Business School costs nearly $200k. George Mason University, a decent and moderately priced state school charges $1378/hour for their Management of Secure Information Systems degree, totaling to just under $50k. For the $45k from SANS you also earn some of the best security certifications and training available as well, which adds a whole extra dimension the other schools can't. It's still expensive, but I don't think it's a bad value for money proposition, and the cost certainly doesn't compare to private universities.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You could complete a MS in cybersecurity at Hopkins, and a few other schools for around $40K total. What gets me is the pre-req classes you'd have to do before you would be fully accepted. I'd love to hear someone who's completed the SANS Masters program and get their take on it.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Robicus wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm currently enrolled and officially starting the program in 2 weeks. I echo everything here: It is pricy but I'm extraordinarily lucky, given that my employer graduate tuition reimbursement is great.

I can speak more on the program once I really get going.

Awesome! Good luck on your studies and I look forward to hearing about your experience.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hey Robicus, keep us updated. I also have very generous tuition reimbursement and am considering the program 2 years down the road.

That's awesome, cyberguypr! I suppose there's a small chance we could overlap a bit in the program. :)

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback, everyone!
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP