Options

New Guy - Security Operations Analyst Opportunities - Certifications ? Job Change

cybernewbiecybernewbie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

Sorry if this is posted in the incorrect place.

I graduated a year ago in Computer Science and landed an opportunity within a server team to look after and maintain / patch our production & dev servers. i have had a interest in IT Security for a long time now and wish to know the best route i can take to push my carear that way.

With this interest i have learned alot from reading ebooks on lunches to home study and practical pen testing on my home environment using Linux servers and popular tools freely available on the web.

While there are huge amounts of jobs out there from IT Security professionals they all require large amounts of experience, while zero jobs are available for "juniors".

Can i please be pointed in the right direction for a carer path that will eventually lead down this road? good & affordable certifications that will help me build a better understanding of what this type of job will require of me would be appreciated.

I have found the following:

GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA)
SSCP - Systems Security Certified Practitioner
CISSP - Certified Information Systems Security Professional
COMPTIA+ Security Exam exam code SY0-401

Thank you for anyone who could help / advise.

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hi there, and welcome to the forums. Start with this thread Security certification - where to start? and then if you have specific questions after that, I'd post in the Security Certifications forum section.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cybernewbiecybernewbie Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply i will take a look!icon_study.gif