Options

Just applied to WGU, excited.

TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently completed the 70-687 MS cert. During my cram session, I kept seeing the name WGU in people's signatures and profiles.

After looking into it, I decided this is exactly what I've been looking for. I work full time as a low level desktop support tech currently. I have a decent amount of free time during my work day for studies.

I sent over my lackluster community college transcripts. I don't expect to transfer many credits in from that.

Anyways, I'm just posting here to say HI, first post. Looking forward to getting started on April 1st... IF i get accepted icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Glad to see you are making a step to better yourself :) I don't know a whole heck of a lot about WGU but it does seem to be a popular choice. I woul definitely take a look at the stickies here.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck! icon_study.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most likely you will get in. The admission process is straight forward and your recruitment advisors is usually helpful. I applied and was accepted earlier but turn it down, it was more of a time and money issue. They took all of my technical school courses but only took one credit from my current university. I was trying to transfer over to the same degree program as I though WGU has a little more recognition than the college I was currently attending. In the end I was require to do more credits at WGU versus my original college when I transfer over there. My advisor advise me to submit an appeal but I didn't think it would make much difference since I would still have a lot of credits left. I will attend one of their master programs unless I decide to go after a graduate certificate elsewhere.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Congratulations on taking the plunge. It takes some people years to take that first step.

I'm pretty close to applying myself. I have plenty of "down time" at work for studying and I've been looking at their BS IT-Security program for the CCNA R&S/Security.

Keep us updated of how your first days go.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on applying :D I applied myself a few months back and plan to start the BS IT-Sec course in March :D just trying to knock out more certs before my first day to power through the degree ASAP! then onto the masters program for that C|EH and C|HFI!
  • Options
    srabiee wrote: »
    Good luck! icon_study.gif

Thanks for the positive words, everyone. I have been accepted with 12 units transferring in. I start April 1st and I'm going through orientation on March 15th.

Congratulations on taking the plunge. It takes some people years to take that first step.

I'm pretty close to applying myself. I have plenty of "down time" at work for studying and I've been looking at their BS IT-Security program for the CCNA R&S/Security.

Keep us updated of how your first days go.

So far, so good. I am ahead of the curve - completed financial aid paperwork early, completed orientation tasks, and I clicked on everything possible in the my.wgu.edu portal. My admissions counselor is impressed.

My admissions counselor has been super nice by the way. Have you guys seen that movie 'Her'? (Her (2013) - IMDb)
    My counselor sounds exactly like her... lol
    Congratulations on applying icon_biggrin.gif I applied myself a few months back and plan to start the BS IT-Sec course in March icon_biggrin.gif just trying to knock out more certs before my first day to power through the degree ASAP! then onto the masters program for that C|EH and C|HFI!

I was thinking about the BS IT-Sec program but I feel like I will use the Microsoft certs more than the Cisco ones. I took the first part of a CCNA course a while back and had a hard time with the Cisco command line interface.
  • Options
    TR4V1STY wrote: »
    So far, so good. I am ahead of the curve - completed financial aid paperwork early, completed orientation tasks, and I clicked on everything possible in the my.wgu.edu portal. My admissions counselor is impressed.

My admissions counselor has been super nice by the way. Have you guys seen that movie 'Her'? (Her (2013) - IMDb)
    My counselor sounds exactly like her... lol

You mean Scarlett Johansson? icon_wink.gif

Glad to hear it's going well. I applied not long after posting this reply and my experience has been more or less the same. Super fluid and no stress at all. My EC is on top of it and has answered all of my questions. I was a little surprised at how short our "meetings" are, but that's not really a complaint. My intake interview is today and I'm set to start in April.

Have you heard from your Mentor yet?
  • Options
    JohnnyUtah41JohnnyUtah41 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I keep seeing threads about WGU, sounds pretty cool. I'm just wondering does anybody know the approx. cost per credit hour there? or per class?
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Congrats and good luck buddy! WGU bachelor degrees can help for the certs & well the 4-yr degree! IMO its quite valuable even if you do not complete your bachelors. With it all being said, finish at least a bachelors as 1/3 now have a bachelors degree now.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I keep seeing threads about WGU, sounds pretty cool. I'm just wondering does anybody know the approx. cost per credit hour there? or per class?

BSIT:Sec is about $3200 per term (6mo.) I have done 26 CUs in 4mo. so far... so, so far $123/CU :)
  • Options
    It is a flat rate per 6 months (1 term). Averages $3000 depending on which program you go with.

That's whats crazy-awesome about WGU. You could potentially finish in 1 term if you just went beast mode. If you search around on these forums, you will find a few people that managed to pull that feat off. A Bachelor of Science degree in 1 term.... for $3000 flat... WTF.

Realistically 2 terms (1 year) is probably the minimum for most people. That's still so much more efficient than any brick and mortar college.
    You mean Scarlett Johansson? icon_wink.gif

YES, Scarlett Johansson... That movie was a bit weird just to warn you all. Him and the 'Her' operating system somehow manage to have intercourse... Moans, groans, and everything. I fell asleep shortly after that.
    Glad to hear it's going well. I applied not long after posting this reply and my experience has been more or less the same. Super fluid and no stress at all. My EC is on top of it and has answered all of my questions. I was a little surprised at how short our "meetings" are, but that's not really a complaint. My intake interview is today and I'm set to start in April.

Have you heard from your Mentor yet?
    Yea the meetings are short and to the point. I have not heard from my mentor yet, i think they said that they will contact me closer to April 1st.
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats TR4VSTY! I'm starting April 1st as well. I clicked on everything too and finish the orientation early through the link from the resources page.
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another April starter here going for software development. I got my transcript evaluation back and was ecstatic to see that 48 CU transferred in from my A.A.S. and A+, Net+, Sec+. All the general classes were waived that only leaves 74 CU. I'm hoping to smash this out in 2 terms.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I'm having a good experience with WGU so far. Sitting the CEH exam the beginning of next month, planning for CHFI at the end of April.

Good luck to you.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

So It's been 15 days since I officially enrolled. So far so good.

I already completed one class, C484 Organizational behavior and leadership. Man, that test was tough. I took the pre-assessment and scored a 85% without studying. The real assessment was much harder... no wonder the cut score is so low icon_surprised.gif

I have C182 Intro to IT scheduled for Thursday. Anyone know if the pre-assessment is in line with the real test?

12 units/121 completed.. That's 10% icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I'm enrolled in the MS:ISA program. Having a great experience so far. Sitting for the CEH in two weeks.

Good luck to you!
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Looking back on it and I had mix emotions as I'm sure any student would. But overall I am so glad I did it. I was stuck in support roles for the longest time.

The best part is as time goes on the buyer remorse leaves and the value becomes more noticeable.
  • Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif

So It's been 15 days since I officially enrolled. So far so good.

I already completed one class, C484 Organizational behavior and leadership. Man, that test was tough. I took the pre-assessment and scored a 85% without studying. The real assessment was much harder... no wonder the cut score is so low icon_surprised.gif

I have C182 Intro to IT scheduled for Thursday. Anyone know if the pre-assessment is in line with the real test?

12 units/121 completed.. That's 10% icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

I just passed my Intro to IT exam. Pre-assesment is in line. Most was very basic but watch out for how some questions are worded. Some were a bit vague some were tricky.
  • Options

I just passed the assessment last week. It was very similar.

I'm working on C376 (Web Development Fundamentals) myself. I'll be submitting the website project to TaskStream tonight and then I'll schedule the OA for Tuesday. After that... general education!