Options

Issues cloning Linux VMs

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Was wondering if others we having this issues.

Where I work we run a number of various RHEL 5/6 and they are either 32 or 64 bit machines.

From VC, we use Converter to move from our virtual prod environment to our dev environment. In this case, we have a bunch of updates, we want to run first in dev and once they prove successful, we will do it again in prod.

Once we successfully clone and then move into our dev environment, this is where the issues start.

We have issues with MAC addresses, which I have to manually change to match the MAC address that VMWare has assigned and then I get a range of networking issues.

I've googled around and see that others have the issue as well and really didn't see a solid solution and was wondering what others had seen and did to try and fix.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why don't you use snapshots?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Does that create a VM without all of the issue?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doesn't create a VM per se, but let's you test your updates and if you like them you commit the snapshot. If you don't like the results, you just roll back to point where the snapshot was taken. What's running in these VMs?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Gonna run that by the VMWare admin and see what he thinks.

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    This is a frequent problem I face when cloning RHEL/CentOS 6 VMs. What I do is first delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and then remove the line with the MAC address in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ethX where X is the NIC # (starts at 0). Then restart network services with service network restart.
  • Options
    Cable_guyCable_guy Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agreed with above.

Clear the persistent rules file and that should fix your issue. I've seen this issue rear its head on many distros and VMware.
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    This is a frequent problem I face when cloning RHEL/CentOS 6 VMs. What I do is first delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and then remove the line with the MAC address in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ethX where X is the NIC # (starts at 0). Then restart network services with service network restart.

Thanks! I too have run into this issue before. Good to know.