Options

Course grading, brick-mortar vs. WGU?

In brick mortar university, as you know, you have assignments, midterms, final exams and they add marks in all these , that's your grade. Some courses require you pass final to pass course. How is a course graded in WGU? I'm thinking to do Masters in Security.

Comments

• Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I am three courses into the MS:ISA program. You basically have to write papers for most courses. Each course may consist of 3 or 4 tasks. Your paper is submitted to Taskstream which is graded according to the rubric for the assignment. You must receive a competent rating (which may be a 3 or a 4 depending on the scale of the assignment) in order to complete the task. After you complete each Task in the course, you earn credit for the course. If you decide to choose the MS:ISA program, then you will be required to earn the CEH and CHFI certifications. Basically you will be given access to the materials to study for the exams. You will be required to schedule the exam and take it while you are being monitored by a web cam (which is shipped to you).

If you fail a task, you get 3 attempts before being required to develop a plan with your mentor before the fourth attempt. I believe the vouchers for the certification exams are good for two attempts.

Be prepared to read a lot of boring material and write a lot of papers (especially in Cyberlaw). I can't wait to start on the Ethical Hacking stuff next month.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks aspiringsoul for the info, that's the kind of details I was looking for :)

I'm a bit amazed that for a tech program they would need us to "write papers" as if it's an English literature program (but I'm making the assumption that there's little 'labbing' or working with technologies to write your papers) !

Having said that, although I wouldn't say I love writing papers, I find it interesting and useful (at least that I did in university undergrad)
  • Options
    smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please note that WGU only accepts Americans at this time. I don't know if you are but your location says Canada.
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @smokeyalien

You sure about that?
    Will you admit students living outside the U.S.?

At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)
    Unfortunately, we have discovered we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these problems will be solved in future years. An Enrollment Counselor has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    A while ago they weren't accepting Canadians. Not the case any more. Someone here from Canada signed up the other day.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    A while ago they weren't accepting Canadians. Not the case any more. Someone here from Canada signed up the other day.

Yes, that's correct they accept. WGU just being 'neighborly nice'!