Options

Good small cheap Cisco routers

merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So there I was, at a local pet store, and I noticed an unusually small and festive Cisco Router, I was actually able to get really close to this router, close enough to lick it, which is really bad as physical security is concerned, they are just begging to be compromised, but I am an honest man, I only wanted to see the model, sure enough, 1861, so I found 2 on Ebay and bought them today! Anyone have any experience with the 1861's? I was trying to find some reviews of it, I know it's an old model, but it is so compact and I can take it with me to work and other places. I really enjoy having physical equipment. It makes the experience much more exciting! Also looking to get 2 ASA's 5505's soon.

Comments

• Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 1861 is primarily used for voice, but you should be able to use it for routing also. I don't have any personal experience with it, though.

Cisco 1861 Integrated Services Router - Cisco
    Cisco 1861 Integrated Services Router - Cisco
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yep, it's in the 1800 family like the popular 1841 that doesn't voice but the 1861 does.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/hardware/installation/guide/hw.pdf
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I would recommend not bothering with the 5505 and go for the 5506 that's coming out.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    I am hoping 5505s will drop in price so I could pick up a pair once these 5506s start showing up.
  • Options
    The OP mentioned that he's thinking about picking up two 5505's thus my comment. If he's looking to lab or have a form factor small enough to carry around, I recommend the 5506 since it'll also have the ability to play around with newer technology (FirePower) and the price point isn't bad at all.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    Haha oops, long day. What's the price difference between 5505 and 5506 in like for like config good enough for ccna/ccnp sec?
  • Options
    This is the only pricing I know about: https://communities.cisco.com/message/173467

List price, that's very close to the list price for the 5505. If you can buy it from a partner through your company, that'll be dramatically less for a FirePower box and future-proof your learning in terms of Cisco security studies.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    List price, that's very close to the list price for the 5505.

List price maybe, but the ASA 5505 can be had for less than that. I bought one [brand new in the box] back in 2013 from Amazon for $261.

Amazon.com: Cisco ASA5505-BUN-K9 ASA 5505: Electronics

The 5506 is $642.64 to $706.99

PROVANTAGE: Cisco Systems ASA5506-K9 ASA 5506-x with Firepower Service 8GE AC 3DES
    CISCO DIRECT ASA5506-K9 - ASA5506-K9 - Firewalls/UTMs - CDW.com

The 5506 has faster interfaces (Gigabit vs. 100 Mbps) and "Firepower". It would be interesting to see how the licensing varies. I see there is a Security Plus version, just like with the 5505, but no mention of licensing for Anyconnect Mobile, etc...as they had with the 5505. If they drop the requirement for all those extra licenses, it could actually work out cheaper than the 5505 in some scenarios.
  • Options
    That's a great deal for a 5505 ($260) but as the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Security changes though, I definitely see Cisco sticking Firepower on the exam content in the future and since Cisco is going that direction for future releases, you're going to eventually run into it in your career. That's why I say it's more for "future-proofing" your studies/skills to go with the 5506. Better to have something that will support the latest versions of code as they come out and can unlock all the features - something the 5505 simply will never be able to do since Sourcefire integration isn't coming to that platform.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • Options
    merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well that stinks about the 5506's! I already pulled the trigger on 2 ASA's today. I mean, I got them for reasonable prices, only 199 each! Oh well, it will give me something to play with while I continue to study for my CCNA Security exam, after that exam, I shall use them for my NP studies! $995 is a hefty fee for such a tiny device. I'll have to read up and study on the the new technolgoies being implemented on the new devices, thanks Gals and Gents! Edit* looks like they are a little cheaper on the links provided, I read the above price on the Cisco forums.
  • Options
    merc.man87 wrote: »
    Well that stinks about the 5506's! I already pulled the trigger on 2 ASA's today. I mean, I got them for reasonable prices, only 199 each! Oh well, it will give me something to play with while I continue to study for my CCNA Security exam, after that exam, I shall use them for my NP studies! $995 is a hefty fee for such a tiny device. I'll have to read up and study on the the new technolgoies being implemented on the new devices, thanks Gals and Gents! Edit* looks like they are a little cheaper on the links provided, I read the above price on the Cisco forums.

The ASA 5505 is useful beyond just a device to play with. I configured SSL VPN on mine, allowing me to securely connect to my lab equipment.