Options

Passed ICND1 with a 907 with out those boring books!

jayaleemjayaleem Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed INCD1 with a 907 score today. I'm on this forum a lot, and was worried about taking the exam. I really didn't have nothing to worry about, the exam seemed easy. I finished it in half the time. I didn't need those boring books that everyone suggested, I have very little networking experience and I learned ICND1 through self study. It took me about a month of studying with around two hours per night. I'm DOD, so my time is limited. My studying technique was simple, I took a INCD online course through skillsoft. This course gave me a strong foundation of the basics. Next, I went to Danscourses website, and went through his tutorials on youtube. I have packet tracer, and work through packet tracer while having his tutorials up which gave me a better understanding of what was going on. The key to passing this exam is strong subnetting skills, most of the questions are based on subnetting. You need to know the main show commands, OSPF, and frame relay. Focus on that, and the basics of cisco routing and you will be ok.

Comments

• Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Congrats! I'm going through Wendell's book, about half way thru the book. I just started on OSPF, and will be working on packet tracer and labs soon. I hope to be CCENT certified by my birthday, 3/11. :D
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the CCENT! I plan to take this one before the end of the month too, but I'll be using book study and Chris Bryant's video series on udemy.
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I will be using pretty much a similar. I work as a level 1 Voice/Network Infrastructure tech right now. Been there for a year so I have some basic exposure to routers, firewalls and switches. I'm going to be going through the CBT nuggets videos. I have 4 3640 switches and packet tracer. May use Boson Exam Max tests too. Good luck with your future tests. What did you use to help with the subnetting.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Great Job! Is the skillsoft course something you paid for or done through work? I am not familiar with their products but it's always good to hear about different training methods.
  • Options
    For Subnetting, I just wrote down my Subnetting chart that is easy to memorize:

2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 4096 (Requirement for Networks or host, each number you past is the number of bits that needs to
    be borrowed. Networks borrow from left to right, Host is right to left.)

Ex: 188.25.0.0 /16 Give me 450 Networks. So it takes 9 numbers (bits) to get to 512. Now add those 9 bits to that /16 and you get:

11111111.11111111.11111111.10000000 /25 If I needed 450 Host, I'll count nine 0s from the right, everything else will be 1s:

11111111.11111111.11111110.00000000 /23

With a /25 I count my networks by 128. /23 I count by 2:

128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255 ====> SUBNET MASK
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 ====> Number to Increment by
    /25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 /32
  • Options
    I can't get the numbers to line up on the post correctly, but each number will go directly beneath the other to create the table.
  • Options
    Skillsoft is paid through work. It gives you a good understanding, but I think you can get the same training through dancourses which is free.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    BryandoBryando Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks good. I know dancourses has a good method for subnetting.
  • Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Congrats on the pass! icon_cheers.gif
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching