Options

Smart Casual?

Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everybody, I'm a little confused right now because I got a meeting for my new job this friday, and I was informed to come to the meeting in smart casual attire. I honestly don't know what that means, and I tried looking up pictures or definitions but its shows many different things. I saw some pictures with jeans, others with khakis and even some with a plain white tee. Im hoping someone can shed some light on this before I go, and buy something.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    https://www.pinterest.com/fabuliss/men-s-smart-casual-style/

Just grab a Banana Republic or J. Crew catalog and go crazy.
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's pretty cool (65-70) now in South Florida so I would just wear a pair of slacks and a button down shirt. Tie is not really required like Nersesian mentioned in his regular good-humored manner (kudos to you Nersesian for your messages on this board :)) However, I wore a full suit with a tie to one of the interviews recently and it turned out that everyone were dressed in suites and ties there - higher level execs and so as IT crew.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Smart Casual.... Business Casual... means all the same to me.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ Agreed, smart casual probably means business casual, meaning dress pants and dress shirt tucked in, belt, shoes, no tie required.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    VinnyCisco wrote: »

It looks like the main difference is the pants. Smart casual can include denim whereas business casual seems to be limited to slacks and khakis (just going by the link posted above). You can never go wrong with a good pair of khakis.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To me, Smart Casual and Business Casual mean the same thing. If it were me going for an interview/meeting, I would go with dark gray dress pants, black shoes, and a nice button down with sweather, or maybe just a sweather depending on the temp. If you decide on going with khakis, then a nice pair of brown shows, and same with the shirt/sweater. Don't wear jeans. You can do that when you actually work for the company, and that may only be on Fridays. Banana Republic has nice clothing that would suit your needs, and I'm sure they'll help you put together and outfit. They can be pricey depending on what you get, but you want to make a good first impression so in the end it could be the best investment you make.

But my first preference is the dark gray dress pants, black shoes, button down with sweter, button down, or just sweater. No white socks. Spend some time at Banana Republic and/or J Crew. Banana Republic would be my go to place. Good luck!
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would go biz casual even if they said casual. Non-verbal communication
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    I would go biz casual even if they said casual. Non-verbal communication

Agreed. Better to overdress a little than to not look sharp enough. Go into one of the stores, spend some time with the salesperson trying on outfits. Hell, even ask other customers how you look and I'm sure they'll give some feedback.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    No need to break the bank especially if you don't have the $$$. Go to burlington or TJ Max. Get some fitted dress slacks for $15; fitted dress shirts for $15; black/brown dress belt for $10; dress socks; and dress shoes.
  • Options
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    No need to break the bank especially if you don't have the $$$. Go to burlington or TJ Max. Get some fitted dress slacks for $15; fitted dress shirts for $15; black/brown dress belt for $10; dress socks; and dress shoes.

They're good options too, or an outlet store. Like Burlington. I've gotten most of my suits from there. You can get decent stuff for a good price. Even Kohl's has decent stuff. Depending on where in Florida you live, there are 3 Burlingtons. Orlando, Lakewood, and Brandon.

It seems like most are saying go with the dress slacks, so you know what to do. Hope it goes well.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    https://www.pinterest.com/fabuliss/men-s-smart-casual-style/

Just grab a Banana Republic or J. Crew catalog and go crazy.

lol

10char
  • Options
    So how did it work out with the meeting?
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I ended up wearing a button down some Chino pants and the brown shoes they wanted. I asked if that was what they were looking for and they said yes. The meeting went well to just talked about the different programs and sites used for ticketing, monitoring, and remoting in. On the plus side I got paid my hourly rate for the meeting too :)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VinnyCisco wrote: »

yeah i was about to say that. Biz Cas is button up, slacks/dress pants, shoes...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Glad to hear it went well.