Why is IPv4 address space 2^32?

TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
I understand that there are 32 bits in an IPv4 address, with 8 bit octets, but why is the total number of addresses equal to 2^32? I may be over-thinking this, but why is it 2^32 instead of 3^32 or 4, etc. I'm sure I'm looking right past the big picture, so take it easy on me, :)

Thanks

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To understand why it's 2^32 you first need to know what a bit is, do you know what a bit is?

Knowing what binary is will also help answer the question.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    How many possible values are in a bit? 2. How many bits are there in an IPv4 address? 32.

2^32
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This actually borders a bit of statistics believe it or not.
    Because the actual ip address is a 32 bit number there are exactly 2^32 combinations of 1's and 0's.

So, with binary digits you can only represent a number with a "1" and "0" (2 possible values) .
    We've allocated 32 bits for the IP address (or spaces to be populated with a binary digit) .
    The question then becomes, how many 32 digit numbers can be formed with the digits "1" and "0"
    PR(2, 32) = n^k
    (you can look up permutations with repetition)

Interesting question, i'd be surprised to see how many people just repeat what's fed to them from the text book .
    (granted, my own answer is from a textbook, it's a different textbook.... ughh... forget it... )
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    It's in the name: binary or base-2.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can't explain it but this is why.. 00010101.01010101.01010000.01000000
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great stuff guys, makes perfect sense now. Thanks!