Options

Starting salary

Hi, I am currently Interviewing for a role, and they told me that the starting salary is $35,000 ... Is this the minimum salary that they were looking to pay out? or is that a set in stone salary that they have?

Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends, did they ask you before what your salary expectations were?
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    I asked them what the salary for the position was. I was just hoping for 1 - 2k more.. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask next interview.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best negotiation effort I suggest is to say that you're fine with that as your probation salary, but would like a clause in the contract that states that after you've proven yourself and passed the probation period that they amended the salary to 38,000 (or whatever) due to factors X, Y, Z.
  • Options
    Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    The best negotiation effort I suggest is to say that you're fine with that as your probation salary, but would like a clause in the contract that states that after you've proven yourself and passed the probation period that they amended the salary to 38,000 (or whatever) due to factors X, Y, Z.

Good suggestion, but make sure to explain it to them in such a way as that you are worth that much because of the value that you provide to the company. Also make sure that you are bringing the skills to the table that make you worth that much, not just that you need that much. If you want the job, don't pass up the opportunity just because it's a couple $K less than you want, as noted above you can request that you get an increase after your 90 day probation provided you have proven your skills and value. Hey, maybe they will even give you more than you asked for then if you show exceptional skills. I know my company hired me at 43k, and I requested a minimum of 45k at interview, of which they gave me like a 3K increase after only 2 weeks because they saw my value. Once my 90 days came around I got a substantial raise yet again after I showed them all I could do. However my job was under bid because they didn't realize the actual job duties and proper bay it deserved.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security
  • Options
    RHDS2KRHDS2K Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Agree 100%.. I regret not doing this for my current position!
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If this is your first IT job I'd take it. If you want 1-2k more, ask for it. Worst case they say no...My first IT role was $10/hr, and the experience from that job is what got me my next job with a higher salary.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ramit's Briefcase Method. Show them why you are worth more because you are the answer to the questions and issues they face as a company.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Perfect, thanks for the advice guys, this will be my second IT job. Currently working help desk, and this job I am interviewing for is for a Systems Administrator(Field tech) position.

35k a year/no heath benefits (They provide $100 a month help with healthcare cost)
    80 hours PTO
    Quarter Lucrative bonuses up to 10% of salary , based on performance
    No mileage reimbursement (most clients are local)

It is a smaller company than i currently work for, but the title, pay and work I will be doing is a step up .

Hopefully a offer comes my way soon, and I will try to have 35k set as probation salary for 3 months or so, and see if I can get a 1k increase. If a offer doesnt come my way. This info is useful for the future. thanks guys!