Options

need job transitioning advice

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
Would you guys leave a job as a data center technician for a help desk role?

I currently work as a data center tech and I was recently offered a job as a help desk tech. Here are the reasons why I am even contemplating this:
1.I currently travel 1:30mins each way to my present job. help desk commute would be about 15mins.
2.help desk would pay a couple thousand dollars more than I presently make.
3. The help desk would get me a secret clearance
I just dont want to make a career move that might come across as going backwards. Should I hold off for something like a sys admin type job or would this job still look ok on my resume in the future?

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think those 3 points are extremely valid. Just going off the info you presented, I would say yes I would.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Things you need to consider, what is it you want to do? Don't take a job if you plan on leaving within a few months for something else. That could really hurt you down the road. But if you can advance rather quickly in this company into a position you would really like to do, then go for it. But if you are going to be stuck, and no possible future within the company, then I would say no. A few K more, secret clearance and short drive are definite perks, but NOC to HD is backwards, especially if you cannot grow within the company.

But again, figure out what it is you want to do. You don't want to burn a bridge with any company, especially one that could have the role you want and are right for in the future. Good luck!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Let's not over sell the NOC, that's silly. It really is 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. Blank statements like these will get you in trouble.

@ OP you are thinking right, explore the opportunity, the help desk might be empowered to do certain things other desk can't, such as system admin or other skills that is beyond the scope of most help desk.

Another item I think is overlooked is the visibility. It's been my experience help desk gets more exposure usually. This has been my experience.

Bottom line do your home work and make the call.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Let's not over sell the NOC, that's silly. It really is 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other. Blank statements like these will get you in trouble.

So True. No point in considering NOC to HD a backward step if your planning any career outside of networking. HD would get you exposure on application support, hardware/software troubleshooting, and possible even infrastructure wiring. AS N2IT mentioned, if your doing desktop support you can get face to face time with higher ups unlike the NOC where your barely a voice to them. Get a couple of big wins for the right director or executive and you have a big rep within your company as they starts calling on you specifically to fix things.

as to your questioning if this is a good/smart move while you wait, how well do you qualify for a SysAdmin role right now? If you think you have the skills and education, why not apply for SysAdmin jobs instead of taking the HD route? If you dont have the right skillset or education, why bother questioning if you should hold out for those jobs if you don't qualify?

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I'd take it. A clearance, less wear-and-tear on your vehicle, and a bigger paycheck?
  • Options
    I have been applying to different companies for different roles, this HD one just happens to be the first one i have gotten this far with since I began. Also I do have AD exposure and work with server 08/2012 daily.
    My question wasnt meant to kick sand in the face of ppl who work help desk and I am not saying anything is wrong with that role. just questioning if its a step back from what I am doing now
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are in Virginia. Having a clearance will benefit you further down your career path. Yes, nothing is wrong with help desk roles, but as we all know help desk is about getting experience and moving on. Yes, some people stay doing help desk for 5-10 years and yes people work at McDonalds for 5-10 years. That doesn't mean its something that is recommended that you should do...not saying its anything wrong with either
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm with NOC to HD being a step backwards. How long are you in your NOC job? What are your short term goals (2-5 year)?
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At face value with the info provided - I would take the helpdesk job in a heartbeat. Comparing a NOC job to a Helpdesk job is meaningless unless the scope of responsibilities of the job is described. Presumably the helpdesk job is a step up because clearly because the employer believes that the value is worth the higher salary and even willing to invest in supporting a clearance.
  • Options
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    I'm with NOC to HD being a step backwards. How long are you in your NOC job? What are your short term goals (2-5 year)?
    Short term plan is to get a sys admin type role that will help me transition into the security side of things.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Clearance, raise and shorter commute is a WIN WIN. Don't worry about a NOC being a backwards step. That's just silly. You can stick both on your resume and when question by a hiring manager inform them you left because of the clearance; raise; shorter commute; and that the help desk job allowed you to touch aspects of system admin. Will you be working with Server 2008/2012?
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another thing to consider with this opportunity is the time that you'd get back from the shorter commute, as well as less money spent in gas/oil changes/tires/etc as that is an unseen raise in that aspect as well. Having the Secret clearance is a huge bonus as well when you go to look for the next step up. And also see if the company with the HD job has sys admin type of positions that you can grow into. If there is good upward mobility in the company then it's a true no brainer. Of course, going from a NOC, where you touch servers, to a HD role is technically a "step back", but would depend on exactly what the duties are for that role.

If I were in that position, I'd probably think hard about that choice as there are clear benefits to both positions. I think that the HD job looks very attractive at face value. However, since you are early in your search now, I'd probably keep looking for the jobs you truly want, clearance or not. The one variable would be, how would your AD/Server skills decline in the HD role? How does that position fit into your long term goals? Will you be happy being tied to a phone and answering those calls all day long?

For me, I'd hold out and keep doing the same for the short term and look for a position that truly fits into the long term goals. If you were without a job, absolutely I'd jump at it, but would probably continue looking.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Another thing to consider with this opportunity is the time that you'd get back from the shorter commute, as well as less money spent in gas/oil changes/tires/etc as that is an unseen raise in that aspect as well. Having the Secret clearance is a huge bonus as well when you go to look for the next step up. And also see if the company with the HD job has sys admin type of positions that you can grow into. If there is good upward mobility in the company then it's a true no brainer. Of course, going from a NOC, where you touch servers, to a HD role is technically a "step back", but would depend on exactly what the duties are for that role.

If I were in that position, I'd probably think hard about that choice as there are clear benefits to both positions. I think that the HD job looks very attractive at face value. However, since you are early in your search now, I'd probably keep looking for the jobs you truly want, clearance or not. The one variable would be, how would your AD/Server skills decline in the HD role? How does that position fit into your long term goals? Will you be happy being tied to a phone and answering those calls all day long?

For me, I'd hold out and keep doing the same for the short term and look for a position that truly fits into the long term goals. If you were without a job, absolutely I'd jump at it, but would probably continue looking.

Well said.