Options

Career jump

snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
Whats the biggest jump from one job to another has anyone here done? I hear stories about it and a friend recently jumped from help desk, 15 per hr to a system/network admin at 31 per hour. Has anyone else have similar success?

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not I, maybe 7 - 8 dollars an hour tops.

I have had friends in IT who have made large jumps. One of my college friends from back in the day, recently was promoted from system architect to technical sales director, went from ~80,000's to 105,000 with a 100% bonus off of his gross income and several other perks, including a place to stay in Brazil and Columbia. (He works in the LATAM region now, coming back and forth to the states).

That's probably the biggest I have heard of.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I went from no experience to sys/network admin.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dave330i wrote: »
    I went from no experience to sys/network admin.

from no experience to being the person in control of everything? Dang, you must be really good at interviews! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I had a 10x jump at one point in my career. Went from working on the 5th floor to the 50th floor of the Willis Tower.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I had a 10x jump at one point in my career. Went from working on the 5th floor to the 50th floor of the Willis Tower.

/closethread

We have the winner
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    from no experience to being the person in control of everything? Dang, you must be really good at interviews! icon_thumright.gif

It was a small shop.

Money wise, the biggest jump is ~$70k (salary + bonus).
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    very inspirational stuff guys. when I grow up, I wanna be like all of you with those high jumps lol
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just my opinion - You're probably more likely to see bigger jumps earlier on in a career. If I am remembering correctly, in the first 5 years of my career, the biggest jump was 60%.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've had an almost $60,000 jump once. It does happen!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Someone I know has gone from a helpdesk guy at some random company to Senior Pre-Sales Architect at VMware inside 8 years, not too shabby if you ask me. That guy will talk you into selling your soul, he's that good at talking.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My base salary has increased 86% over the past 14 months (two job changes) and my new role will also have bonuses that will likely make that 100%+. I currently have exactly 4 years of pretty diverse experience and am officially getting into infosec.