Options

Jobs in Database Administration

TXNTXN Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im currently in school and am pursuing a Bachelor's in Comp Info Systems. My original plan (and what I enjoy) was to become a web developer, and i probably will still continue on that route. But after a few database classes Im curious about that now. Seems like a good job, flexible, etc.

My fear is, that #1 getting started and hired may be difficult and #2 that the job market for "database administrators" is going to become saturated with people looking for jobs that, by the time I graduate, I'd have an extra difficult time finding a job.

Any truth to this?

Comments

• Options
    cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, managing a company's data is a good job and yes most companies don't give the keys to the kingdom to kids straight out of college. With that amount of trust involved I'd suspect most DBAs were hired internally. That being said, with more storage space available to more companies now, even smaller companies are wanting to collect and track data. The need for people to manage the data should increase.

Like most DBAs I did not set out to become one. I developed the skills to fill a need, where I worked, and fell into the promotion.

Don't worry about it though. Continue on your current path and learn all you can. If you want to learn more about databases once you finish college go for it. You probably have a long career ahead of you and plenty of time to learn more.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No more saturated than any other market. Where I live, we struggle to find good DBAs. It's a fine career choice.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    DBAs are hard to find. Good job market.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    And good DBA's are even harder to find. There is good reason why DBA's make good money and depending on your location, you could potentially make ALOT of money down the road. (Easy 6 figures for a mid/sr level DBA most anywhere in the US)

I don't see DBA's really getting saturated as the work would burn out anyone who did not have the passion for it. Web Dev, well honestly, is pretty easy to do for most places and I've seen many folks who have no formal IT education that were able to jump into that role and learn it on the job and they do great. Those jobs are tougher to find as well from what I've seen.

Myself, my role would transition me into a DBA role in about a year and a big pay bump.