Options

Need some tips for moving to NoVa/DC

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm married with a child and one on the way. We've decided that we'd like to move to the NoVa/DC area. I am familiar with the area, I've been there about 8 times, I have some family that lives there. I'd like to work in systems administration/virtualization or security field. I don't have any security clearances. I'm planning on taking the CISSP mid-March and CISM in June. My resume is below and hopefully has been sanitized enough but not too much.

Does anybody have any tips, suggestions or advice for me to make a successful move to the NoVa/DC area?

Thanks!

Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You definitely qualify for a System Administrator role. I would look on Indeed.com; Careerbuilder; Monster; and Dice. You should be getting paid 80k or above.

The following companies provided me with my security clearance: Wyle and Siemens.

Location? Most of the jobs are in DC/Arlington/Alexandria. You may want to move toward Springfield. There is a metrostation near the mall that you can use. Parking at the mall is free so far on Macy's 3rd floor.

I would try to find a job first before relocating here.

Resume advice:

You may need a PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY. I would place SKILLs and CERTIFICATIONs ahead of EXPERIENCE. Under EDUCATION, I would delete High School.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Nersesian wrote: »
    Others can comment on your resume, but I think it looks fine. My judgement is poor though, and I typically pay a company to do mine for me since I'll miss key items in my own background.

Nersesian, do you have a recommendation on a resume company?
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    You have enough experience to warrant an employer sponsoring a clearance and a relocation package. I'm sure you can find employment without a clearance either way.

I'd recommend adding some more specifics to the resume such as "DRP for # servers supporting # users" or "Implemented virtual infrastructure consolidating # physical servers to virtual". Add the word linux next to LPIC, not everyone knows what that is.

I don't use a skills block anymore on my resume, I instead incorporate those into bullet items to give a better example of the skill. For example, instead of Windows Server 2012, I would say "Deployed Active Directory using Microsoft Server 2008"

If you're going to say projects, expand on that where possible. You said "managed move, deployment, and upgrade projects". Did you migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7? Add depth to the bullets, and you can go to two pages since you're experienced.

Did you do any VDI deployments?
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you don't mind me asking - how much do you get paid in your area with your experience and certs?
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think your resume is fine. Go to indeed.com and click search resumes and you will literally find 15+ different resume styles and formats. So which one is right? That's based on opinions of others that are not directly hiring for those positions. I had a recruiter who contacted me two days ago about a position in Quantico. I can give you her info in you wanted it. I turned it down the money wasn't right. Its about 50ish, if you aren't desperate for money I wouldn't take it. P.M me if you want the info.

I suggest N. Virginia. I go 95 South coming to work no traffic. I go North going home no traffic. I literally see people stopped bumper to bumper going toward DC when I am going 75mph going 95 North Home and they are going 2mph. I would lean towards Security related positions more money.I also would of already got on Dice Indeed and applied. All do respect companies do sponsor for clearances, but most people in this area have that..Just FYI. I would work at a low paying job to get a clearance than leave. DC/Virginia is a lot of Government=Clearance I am sure you knew that. But I hope you find a sponsor.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT-Fella wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking - how much do you get paid in your area with your experience and certs?

I was hired about two years ago at $80,000. I only had A+, ITILv3 Foundations and no degree. The company is kind of a start-up and I had previously worked with the CIO and Infrastructure Manager. First year raise was 5% so up to $84,000 now, this year they aren't doing raises, not happy about that.

I'm really interested in what it would take to secure a job over $100,000 initially in the area.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    You could probably find something that paid 100k in the area, but you'll have to look at all the numbers. Compare your cost of living differences. Housing? Commute? Lifestyle?

I was told by some of my security friends if you have a CISSP and TS-SCI clearance you can get 120k easy. That's because some contracts need a guy to occupy a chair for contractual obligations.

Different contracts have different margins for salary, you just have to look around. No harm in firing off resumes.