Options

Biggest frustration with IT support

FastEthernetFastEthernet Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
What's the thing that annoys you most about doing IT support?

For me it's quite simply hovering over the shoulder of a user whilst they are logging into Windows.
You've been on their PC to sort out their problem. And you logged in as administrator before logging out when finished.
And then the user sits there punching in their password and getting shirty because it's not working.
"You're trying to log in as administrator" I tell them as a way of a hint.
They try again.
"You're trying to log in as administrator" I tell them again, "look at the last logged in user".

Eventually, after a couple of hints, they work out that they have to click on the switch user button.

Then comes the next problem - they haven't got a clue what their username is! And when between us we have ascertained what their username is, they then enter the wrong password and somehow think that I know what it is!

User really aren't any smarter than they were 15 years ago. This issue alone must waste best part of an hour a week. Really is frightening how people struggle with such a simple task.

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely the end users :) .. but without them there's no need for IT support!
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's the thing that annoys you most about doing IT support?

For me it's quite simply hovering over the shoulder of a user whilst they are logging into Windows.
    You've been on their PC to sort out their problem. And you logged in as administrator before logging out when finished.
    And then the user sits there punching in their password and getting shirty because it's not working.
    "You're trying to log in as administrator" I tell them as a way of a hint.
    They try again.
    "You're trying to log in as administrator" I tell them again, "look at the last logged in user".

Eventually, after a couple of hints, they work out that they have to click on the switch user button.

Then comes the next problem - they haven't got a clue what their username is! And when between us we have ascertained what their username is, they then enter the wrong password and somehow think that I know what it is!

User really aren't any smarter than they were 15 years ago. This issue alone must waste best part of an hour a week. Really is frightening how people struggle with such a simple task.

That is called OSI layer 8. It the layer where most issues stem from and trickle down.
    It's not that bad though, you have to realize that the users priority is not the same as yours. If you had to change places, lets say with an accountant you probably wouldn't be able to balance accounts or make any sense from the general ledgers or account payables. Everyone has different priorities.
    To answer your question though, the biggest frustration is IT support when you know something is happening that needs to be rectify, you go to an IT manager and they tell you I will eat the audit point because i dont want to spend resources now.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Honestly I find many support staff complain about the users, but actually the idea as an IT department is to proved idiot proof, resilient and reliable solutions. That is what companies Pay IT to do.

Users should not need to know any thing about IT, that is not what they are paid to do. In the same way at the end of each month I want to get paid and I want budget to fund my projects. But I dont expect to have to know anything about the financials and systems of tax that the Finance team have to manage.

To often I see support staff explain lengthy processes using technical terms when someone just wants a simple system to work. "well you need to open X, click on Y, drag Z to A. then wait for window to come up and then you can ....." To someone who works in It it all makes logical sense but for the user its a different language.

I also find the support staff who moan about the users the most are also often the ones that struggle with new technologies themselves. It shocks me the whinge about uses locking out there accounts or not being able to navigate around windows. But put a cisco switch in front of them and ask them to log in and see a port status and there stumped, even with instructions and numerous times of showing them.

I find that its always frustrating watching people work on systems you know your self inside and out as they struggle with the most basic of tasks. Its easy to forget that the things we think of as common sense are only that because we have spent many hours working on, and it is not "simple" and not some thing you learn in minutes. We are the experts and we are paid to help the users.

the options are this.

1. have system that the users struggle with and are not easy to work though with out a understanding of IT and accept that users will struggle to learn and will need lots of hand holding.

2. design the systems so they lead the users though, and prevent them making mistakes. in the same way we write automated scripts to carry out repetitive tasks. you can apply the same to users. Look for the systems that trip them up or the struggle with and deploy them in a more user friendly way.

I have spent years working as a user when I worked in science and honestly how IT is delivered is more often than not in a way that makes it easy for IT, not the user. On the flip side I have spent 4 years on a help desk and god I could have strangled some users. But you have to sit back, remind your self that they are not paid to be IT experts, and we are paid to help them.

I am more with TheFORCE, its not the users but seeing things done badly and not having managers who push to change things for the better.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a certain point though were the end users need to know something about computers. Like how to turn on a computer, how to use email, and how to use all of the everyday software they need to do their job.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My biggest pet peeve was dirty end users. I did a refresh and - I swear - the end user had never vacuumed; the ground/whole office space was filled with clutter, garbage (old candy, paperclips, unidentifiable *) and a foot of dust. Turns out the end user had just cleaned for me (for the first time ever), so I thanked the end user while I made dust angels and just tried to get out of there as quick as possible!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    There is a certain point though were the end users need to know something about computers. Like how to turn on a computer, how to use email, and how to use all of the everyday software they need to do their job.

Oh most definitely, you should have an understanding of how to use the tools required for your job. But it can be the difference between expecting some one to be able to drive there car, and providing them with a car that they need to be a qualified mechanic to get it started every day.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must be cut from a different cloth. I had a military father. I have no probelm with any of those issues. I can tell the smae person the instructions over and over. you must realize that if they can't follow your instructions after awhile you either need to take over or do a better job explaining.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate the waiting. When someone here has an issue and they are just hovering over my shoulder waiting for something to install or whatever. I'm happy to help and have a high resolution rate (I have to being the only other line of defense is Sr. Engineer) but sometimes I can just feel people getting angry at waiting lol. I'm much happier on days like today where the 4-5 issues I handled were resolved quickly and the rest of my time has been spent working through the security audit and sending out the end-user updates to production group.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    1. When users argue and tell me I'm wrong.

2. When users are tapping their feet and sighing like I'm the problem.
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    With me, it is when a user does not return loaner equipment. Or requesting loaner equipment 5 minutes before they need it, and you have to tell them it is not available - that they should have requested it at least a day before. Of course, people that forget to bring their laptops to work - we only have so many loaner laptops to hand out.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me it's when departments like to stock up on sweets and users tend to offer me those sweets even if I'm not stopping by to help

Oh wait I love that part.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    fixing problems from previous IT administrators that did things in a 'ad hoc' manner because it was a 'quick' fix and not the 'right' fix....

drives me bonkers....

......feel like I left my last major job fixing all these issues left to me only to inherit them all over in the new job, lol icon_bounce.gif

.... morale of story, get your certs guys, and you will see all the wrong ways people in IT do networks once you inherit a network...
    Verities wrote: »
    1. When users argue and tell me I'm wrong.

2. When users are tapping their feet and sighing like I'm the problem.

tell them "just email me" and watch there heads nearly pop off... it puts them in-check and shuts them up real quick cause they know they won the bottom of the priority list award!!!!
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My biggest pet peeve would probably be clutter around their desk. We have a lot of female users who keep 4973249 pairs of heels under their desk. When I have to get under their desk to get to their PC and there are shoes everywhere, it's gross.
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Id have to say the most "fun" part of the game is the customer that has that little bit of knowledge and has to question every move or motive you make to solve the problem. Jesus, if you think NAT works like DHCP reservations, shut your mouth and open your ears.
  • Options
    no!all! wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve would probably be clutter around their desk. We have a lot of female users who keep 4973249 pairs of heels under their desk. When I have to get under their desk to get to their PC and there are shoes everywhere, it's gross.

For some guys that would be heaven ;)
  • Options
    UkimokiaUkimokia Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As much as people like to hound on help desk customers. Sometimes I feel like the help desk agents aren't very...helpful.

I've worked Help Desk for a year and a half now and I can not tell you the number of times I've had a customer call in with an issue that they've had for a while and have told me the last 2/3/4+ techs they've talked to haven't been able to fix the issue or proper information and just escalated it. Then I find out it was a simple fix, or information they should of had.

I think people assume too much that the user is imcompetent (even though it is mostly true) to the point where they become very arrogant and then end up shirking their jobs. I've learned to never assume anything even the solutions you think are right. My problem has never really been with the customers, although that doesn't mean they don't cause problems. However, arrogent or lazy co-workers is what bugs me more than the people asking for help.

The most fun I have doing IT support is when I find an issue I initially don't know how to fix, but work my way through it and resolve the issue.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As someone that works remotely, I actually find most end-users to be pretty nice and not have many dumb questions or issues. They don't have IT experience so with that in mind I don't expect them to be able to know very many ways to troubleshoot or know technical terms. Granted, there are some exceptions and some people have no idea what they're doing or aren't patient, but that just makes a nice challenge for me when I can calm them down and fix their issue.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pretty much everyone should act like my Avatar imo....

(google Nick Burns if you don't get it)