Service Desk Analyst

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I think I have the above postion. I know the manager for this department as I have worked with him before but not in an IT capacity. This will be my first job in IT I am 36 years old. I am very exicted about the opprotunity. From what I understand I will be answering the phone dealing with various issues.

Anyone else have any insight into the position? maybe you had this before? My interview is at 1pm eastern today.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've held that title before, was pretty much the first line of support in a company of about 200-300 people. Doing every little random computer/printer thing you think of. Setting up equipment for new hires, install programs/printers on user's computers, create documentation for issues that came up, folder permission changes... Was me and one other guy answering the phones. Pretty much tried to solve anything that came our way and went to the sys admin guy in there when we needed to.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds like tier 1 helpdesk. Titles mean nothing so in order to understand the role make sure duties are spelled out.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Customer service, customer service and customer service. Make sure you come off as a personable candidate. If they like you there is a really good chance they will hire you.

You might get asked a question like this: If you had a customer who had an issue and you were unable to resolve it how would you handle this?

Talk about using the knowledge base, following the procedures (if ones were in place) or asking your peers. Google is another, but I suspect you will run into that question, because it's real world and it happens a lot.
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We talked for 30 minutes, The interview ended being at 8:30 pm. I called his cellphone as I thought he would be at home and he wasn't . He pulled a 9am to 12am shift. He manages 300 people. They desperately needed people in the afternoon shift and I am hired, I will be able to avoid all the other usual hiring practices. Sometimes it is who you know!

I will now be working two jobs and full time on the weekend. My plan is to stick to this schedule for 6 months and then ask to be full-time. The only downside to working two jobs is not seeing my little man as much as I want. They nice thing is I still get vacation, and training for certs. They are shipping me off for 3 weeks of training and then on the normal schedule. I am excited because my boss has always been amazing. I was able to watch him for many years and no one has ever said anything bad about him.
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats joemc3 for getting your foot in the door! Be ready to be overwhelmed at first but give it some time, 90 days is usually long enough to recognize what the job is going to be like. Getting into IT has a lot to do with who you know, something I really lacked and spent 10 years trying to get in. Good luck on your next career!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)