Options

Is IT still the vibrant market of career possibilities?

vtradervtrader Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
As a career changer to IT, becoming despondent on the employment possibilities(London,UK) within IT. People keep telling me that it is full of opportunities and how they know people(I pass on my cv and hear nothing) who are doing well in the sector.
But as a newbie looking for an entry level it feels just as very little opportunties as other more generic sectors such as office admin jobs which I was applying for before.
I also feel like an old guy in this game of starting out.
I get the feeling the only way to stand out is to become the next Gates,Zuckberg, Page, then I might have a shot as an IT support guy on minimum wage.

(Yes I read the sticky, want to know the current market)

Comments

• Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It takes a lot of work to make it in the IT field.

The positives: You can move up quickly if you continue to better yourself through certifications, changing jobs, etc

The negatives: You usually start out pretty low. And it takes a ton of work to move up. But the moves up can be exponential (5-20k raises from switching jobs).
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Entry-level IT is definitively getting saturated. IT is very location based as well in terms of salary and opportunities. An IT guy doing the same job could be getting a huge salary in San Francisco, or D.C., but get a third of the salary, say in a small city in the middle of Canada. Yep, salary can vary that much. Even once you take into account net salary and living expenses, the factor can still be 2 fold. Same with opportunities, the supply and demand can vary drastically.

Getting your foot in the door will be the hard part. This is why, you see more and more people asking for lots of experience, and if you don't have that, the only other "easy way" is to have a degree and maybe a cert.

What's your experience and academics?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sucks starting out in IT. Most managers don't want to take a chance and hand their network/system over to a person without experience. The begining is the toughest part. But once you find a decent starting job, its up to you on how fast you succeed.
  • Options
    Its funny, I am seeing a lot apprentiships for young people under 21 in IT. But for the older people those with other life/career experiences not so much. I understand more now on the saying "youth is wasted on the young".

Is not someone who has several years of experience in a technical goods retail environment, and other work experiences more experienced then someone who just graduated?
  • Options
    Nersesian, I understand I have no expectations, I've always started from the bottom, try to put in the extra, stay behind offer help to my managers.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    vtrader wrote: »
    Is not someone who has several years of experience in a technical goods retail environment, and other work experiences more experienced then someone who just graduated?

This is an over simplification.

Many companies work with new graduates but don't see any obligation in helping fill the need of mid life job changers. Someone making the choice to change careers is taking it upon themselves to enter the new field and do what is necessary to succeed.

Keep in mind the first job is the hardest. Once you land a position it is up to you to be successful.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long have you been trying to get into IT?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT is generally not kind to newbies. (Not a rule of thumb, but something I have noticed throughout my career).

Do you have a CS degree or some certifications?

What was your previous experience?
  • Options
    It's been a few months since I decided to focus on applying for IT jobs. I think i have a uk equivalent of a associate degree in computer science. Worked in retail that sells computer and electronic parts for a few years.

working on linux+ cert, as I have been using linux as my main desktop for several years.

Nersesian, I guess that is the problem from a cv point of view, I have trouble quantifing accomplishments from other jobs that could relate to it?
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    How big is the UK IT market? I'm only familiar with the US.
  • Options
    in London from a IT dedicated site cwjobs.co.uk for all listed jobs :4124 of which using keyword 'Support' :1527, ' Linux' 457, 'Trainee': 28, ' junior' 214.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    vtrader wrote: »
    working on linux+ cert, as I have been using linux as my main desktop for several years.

I think that might also be a problem since most companies, at least in the US, are running Windows OS.

I just picture an IT manager asking "So what kind of operating system do you use at home?" and getting "I primarily stick to Linux". Can't imagine that sounds good. I'm not saying you don't know Windows well btw. I know if I was manager I wouldn't care for a person who is going for Linux+ cert if we didn't use it though.

Not saying its a bad cert to go for and I know it can help land some networking jobs. But if you don't have an IT job and looking for first one, I would recommend others. I know there are some Linux based companies but feel you could be limiting yourself just sticking to that.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I have to agree that Linux+ won't really help at finding a first job, but it could later on. If you have the time though, I'd definitively get it, just know that your job search won't be much easier with it
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    It all comes down to what the shop is running. If you've got Linux skills, flaunt them. I've met many windows admins with "15 years experience" who don't know anything other than "I hit next 12 times and I installed Windows Server".

I'm not in the UK, obviously, but I would recommend you try universities or web-hosting employment. Universities and research firms may not pay huge dollars, but the experience can go a long way.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you enjoy Linux stick with Linux......
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For what it is worth Linux is great but so many companies in the UK (from my experience) deal with Windows, the more you know on that side, and a cert or two will go along way. As others have said getting into the field can be tough but it's worth getting a helpdesk type position just to get a foot in the door as it gets easier once you have some experience on side. Keep positive mate and keep trying