Options

Newcommer needing help thanks

DariouxDarioux Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
TL;DR version

Basically in associate degree after finished my diploma in system admin, in a associate degree in network security ( im the only person in class that did system admin the rest have done diploma in networking ), its the first week in, and the first 3 weeks are just refreshment studies of networking, before i started the course i decided to study for CCENT to catch up to everyone else, anyways first week and im doing great

CBTNuggets and Todds Lammeles CCENT work is good ( even deciding to go for my CCENT in a monthish time ),

I have a question, Now in class we set up a static routing between 3 routers and at the same time we used EIGRP routing protocols.

Now i was shy to ask at the time but dont they do the same thing? routing protocol advertises what network it has and what packets to say hello to..... while static routing is [ ip route " if you want to go to this address " " go through this address " ] and the AD of static routing is 1 (so the eigrp setup was ambiguous as static routing took control over EIGRP) So there is no reason to have the routing protocol or to have the static routing on the same router. Is this correct?

Edit: Also just a thought if a company just wanted a certain area/LAN to access another LAN and not all the others to access, you would make that LAN area passive so the routing protocol wont advertise it and do static routing to the other LAN for that LAN to communicate with the non advertised LAN is this correct? ( I am confused myself when i reread this i hope someone understands this )

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could have your network running a dynamic protocol like eigrp and fine tune specific paths using a static route with lower AD. It's all about having the flexibility to be able to customize your network.
    Be careful in regards to passive, do you mean making an interface passive under a routing protocol? This disables the protocol from sending hello's/updates on an interface but the interface ip will still be advertised by the routing protocol. To can perform all manner of route filtering to manipulate the forwarding path. My advice, just keep reading and do some labbing.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think you are just over thinking it to early. All of the information will start to build on itself as you learn more about it.
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darioux wrote: »
    TL;DR version

Basically in associate degree after finished my diploma in system admin, in a associate degree in network security ( im the only person in class that did system admin the rest have done diploma in networking ), its the first week in, and the first 3 weeks are just refreshment studies of networking, before i started the course i decided to study for CCENT to catch up to everyone else, anyways first week and im doing great

CBTNuggets and Todds Lammeles CCENT work is good ( even deciding to go for my CCENT in a monthish time ),

I have a question, Now in class we set up a static routing between 3 routers and at the same time we used EIGRP routing protocols.

Now i was shy to ask at the time but dont they do the same thing? routing protocol advertises what network it has and what packets to say hello to..... while static routing is [ ip route " if you want to go to this address " " go through this address " ] and the AD of static routing is 1 (so the eigrp setup was ambiguous as static routing took control over EIGRP) So there is no reason to have the routing protocol or to have the static routing on the same router. Is this correct?

Edit: Also just a thought if a company just wanted a certain area/LAN to access another LAN and not all the others to access, you would make that LAN area passive so the routing protocol wont advertise it and do static routing to the other LAN for that LAN to communicate with the non advertised LAN is this correct? ( I am confused myself when i reread this i hope someone understands this )

AD can mean 2 things. Advertised distance which is an EIGRP specific term. It appears you mean administrative distance which has to do with the routing table. Remember this, first the router chooses the most specific route to the destination. If those are tied, it goes to the administrative distance. This has to do with how credible is the routing protocol. Directly connected routes area always 0. Static routes are a 1 when you give it the IP address. When you give it the outgoing interface, it's a 0 as well. However, directly connected will always beat a static route no matter what the administrative distance is because it is always the most specific.