Options

Easy Lab... having a problem

NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
So I'm just trying to ping another computer on another VLAN. My setup is I have 1 switch with 2 vlans setup on it.

VLAN 10 Contains fa0/3 and fa0/5
VLAN 20 Contains fa0/4 and fa0/6

I have fa0/3 connected to fa0/1 on a router and set the IP address of fa0/1 to 10.1.10.1 on the router
I have fa0/4 connected to fa0/0 on a the same router and set the ip of fa0/0 to 10.1.20.1 on the router

I have 2 separate computers connected to fa0/5 and fa0/6 on the switch
I have set the computer's ip address on fa/05 to 10.1.10.50 and default gateway to 10.1.10.1 on the computer
and I have set the computer's ip address on fa/06 to 10.1.20.50 and default gateway to 10.1.20.1

Now, I can ping both of the computers from the router. So there shouldn't be any firewall issue pinging the PCs. And I can even ping the other VLANs on the router from the computers!! (can ping 10.1.10.1 from 10.1.20.50)

But for some reason I can't ping the PCs together... (10.1.20.50 to 10.1.10.50)

I've set the lab up in Packet Tracer and it works but can't do it on my live equipment and is driving me nuts!! I have completely erased my switch and tried again just to see if there was anything weird saved on it from previous labs.

Anyone have any clue why shouldn't be able to ping the PCs together?

Comments

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. You said you have your computer connected to a switch, but can ping the computers from the router? Is it a switch or a router?
    2. Show your config (Of the switch or router or whatever it is you have in this topo outside of the PCs)
    3. Since I can't tell if you have a switch or router, are you doing L3 switching or router on a stick?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    My setup is I have 1 switch with 2 vlans setup on it.

VLAN 10 Contains fa0/3 and fa0/5
    VLAN 20 Contains fa0/4 and fa0/6

I have fa0/3 connected to fa0/1 on a router and set the IP address of fa0/1 to 10.1.10.1 on the router
    I have fa0/4 connected to fa0/0 on a the same router and set the ip of fa0/0 to 10.1.20.1 on the router

sorry thought that described it well, obviously easier for me to understand that since I am looking at the equipment :P

2 computers connected to 1 switch connected to 1 router.
  • Options
    Router Config:

interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    ip address 10.1.10.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    duplex auto
    speed auto

Switch VLANs Config:

VLAN Name Status Ports
    ----

10 BLUE active Fa0/3, Fa0/5
    20 RED active Fa0/4, Fa0/6

Switch Interfaces:
    Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
    Vlan1 unassigned YES manual up down
    FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES unset down down
    FastEthernet0/2 unassigned YES unset down down
    FastEthernet0/3 unassigned YES unset up up
    FastEthernet0/4 unassigned YES unset up up
    FastEthernet0/5 unassigned YES unset up up
    FastEthernet0/6 unassigned YES unset up up

Just tried copying the relevant info, let me know if want to see anything else. Assuming I'm missing something from somewhere
  • Options
    so the ping from the sent from PC (10.1.20.50) is reaching the router and seeing the other network (10.1.10.1) but unable to get to the other PC (10.1.10.50)

But the I can ping both computers from the router... so I know it can see it!
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Instead of creating to separate physical interfaces for each VLAN, try this:

-Remove the configs from the router on both interfaces. Do not shut down f0/0
    #interface f0/0.10
    #encapsulation dot1q 10
    #ip address 10.1.10.1 255.255.255.0
    #interface f0/0.20
    #encapsulation dot1q 20
    #ip address 10.1.20.1 255.255.255.0

Let me know how it turns out. Oh yeah, also, disconnect the cable from f0/1 and make sure f0/0 is a trunk port.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My guess is you are able to ping the other port on the router simply because it is connected to the device. However routing is not configured so it is not going to go look for the other PC when you try to ping it.
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    My guess is you are able to ping the other port on the router simply because it is connected to the device. However routing is not configured so it is not going to go look for the other PC when you try to ping it.

yea, that is the problem.... I'm completely resetting my router right now. I tried setting up as a router on a stick like suggested above but it still wouldn't work. Couldn't even ping the router from my PC after. I'm watching the CBTNugget video of them setting it up so I know what it should look like and commands that do it.... Will try again once this reboots.
  • Options
    I dunno maybe its the router... Still can't get it to work after reset. I can set the "router on a stick" up in Packet Tracer pretty quickly and able to get it to work on there. I'm just gonna reset everything on my home equipment tomorrow and try it again on a different router as well.

Thanks for the suggestion OfWolfandMan
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Configure "ip routing" on the router.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Configure "ip routing" on the router.

I'll give that a shot when I get home from work today. Thank you

I just don't understand why I have to when it works on Packet Tracer and the guy doesn't do it on the CBT videos. I'm just starting to learn this so there is alot I don't understand yet though... I'm sure there is just something small I'm missing. Determined to figure it out though!
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You said from the PC you could ping the router interface belonging to the other subnet so you wont need "ip routing". I think the issue you are having is on the PCs. The PCs can communicate with traffic on the local subnet only.

So on the router you have 2 interfaces 10.1.10.1, 10.1.20.1, now try the following pings from the router.

ping 10.1.10.50 source 10.1.20.1
    ping 10.1.20.50 source 10.1.10.1

If neither of these don't work, their is an issue on the firewall config on both PCs. If one works, one pc is an issue.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
    Yupp, I had similar issue,

As EdTheLad said,

just disable firewall on both PCs and try pinging, It should work.

Also, can you ping VLAN 20 from PC on VLAN 10?
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    Yea, I could ping the PCs from the router and get a reply thats why I'm pretty sure it isn't a firewall issue. I did create a rule on the firewall to allow ICMPv4 traffic just to be sure and then even tried with firewall disabled.

"can you ping VLAN 20 from PC on VLAN 10?" Yes I can
  • Options
    sagarmistrysagarmistry Member Posts: 108
    Yea, I could ping the PCs from the router and get a reply thats why I'm pretty sure it isn't a firewall issue. I did create a rule on the firewall to allow ICMPv4 traffic just to be sure and then even tried with firewall disabled.

"can you ping VLAN 20 from PC on VLAN 10?" Yes I can

How abt using command prompt and pinging the router on both networks.
    ICND1 ---> 6th March
  • Options
    alright, completely reset everything and got everything reconfigured and everything is working on it! Wish I could say I knew what was causing it not to work but at least I know how to configure one extremely quickly now icon_cheers.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions!!