Options

Suggestions and Advice For Someone Considering the Security+ Certification

OwlindaOwlinda Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

This is my first post here. I would like to ask experienced folks what they recommend in preparations for the Security+ exam?

I am someone who has worked in clinical software support and implementations for roughly 8 years after college. I have a bachelor's degree in Health Information Management & Systems. I do not have experience working in networking, server infrastructure, and information security but I have been exposed to it. I have picked up basic things "on the job" (enough to be dangerous) but I do not have real expertise. My position is being eliminated this fall (new software being implemented at my company so my legacy software is out the door). I would like to build up my skill set to change my career, and that requires more technical skills. I am working with the manager of information security here at my company. He is hoping he will have new openings on his team in the new fiscal year. He would prefer me to obtain my certifications in this order: Security+, Network+, A+.

Being completely new to this, I have researched and found this Security+ bundle off of CompTIA:

Would this bundle be sufficient for me to pass the exam, with my background?

Or should I work on getting the Network+ and A+ first?

Any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    I have taken all three certifications (passed all). I admit I do question the path this manager has given you as I would have did them in the reverse order (which I did). A+, Network+ and then Security+. It sounds like you do "application support" so you can decide whether you want to continue in that or move into a more generalist technical position. Now, I admit, I'm from Canada so I'm not exactly sure of the situation with healthcare IT in the USA (our healthcare is all government run). As for what to study for Security+ the CBT Nuggets are pretty good provided they're the newer ones by Keith Barker.

Comptia exams are "concept" exams where you build a foundation & understand the big picture. They're teach you how to understand symmetric encryption but they won't teach you how to set it up & make it work.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @Owlinda,

IF you must get all three, I agree, usually people go A+, Net+ than Sec+ simply because it gets a candidate familiar with CompTIA and their tests and the passing score increases from A+ to Sec+ therefore one gains exam taking confidence if you will.

As far as 'do you know enough to pass', only you can answer this. Download the objectives for the three (four) respective exams (2 for A+, 1 for Net+, and 1 for Sec+) and go over the objectives. If the content appears on the objectives, than you will be expected to know it for your exam. That content may or may not appear on one's exam, however, the idea is you are ready for anything they throw at you.

Much will be about definitions and things you will simply need to memorize. The more actual experience a candidate has, the more comfortable they usually are with this part of the prep...doesn't mean someone cannot learn it, but as you are aware, the more one does something, the more it becomes a part of your routine and you just 'know' it.

Meyer's text for A+ and NET+ are completely worth the investment, likewise, Sybex has a great Sec+ text. You may be just fine with the ExamCram books or Passport books if you simply need a review. Check libraries and used texts to shave a little off the cost if that bothers you. Some folks enjoy videos, others prefer to read, and if you are hardcore, you can take the objectives and simply research it all yourself online and home lab (no books ;) ). I'd recommend the Meyer's book for A+ though.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    krucial85krucial85 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought the bundle after not being in the information technology for over 13 years and I passed the first time. I studied according to the suggestions listed in the program and I passed.
    "The way to succeed is never quit. That's it. But be really humble about it."
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    If you don't have experience with physical switches and wiring closets, then the Network+ might be a bit challenging. You may need to do more than memorize.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone here in this thread for providing great advice.

Time is ticking and it is basically March. Elimination is looking like August/September, so with that in mind I am not sure if I want to risk the investment of time and money for a position that does not exist yet. I know the new fiscal year is coming up, my manager friend could not guarantee a position will be available.

I also spoke to another good friend that already has his A+ certification. He asked me several example questions that I should know if I am considering the more advanced certification of Security+. I did not know the answers but he made me feel better stating that he works daily on these kind of scenarios at work. He was brutally honest which I need. He also suggested classroom training would be best for me. He suggested ITT Tech and it looks like they offer a B.S. degree and even an online program. He also suggestedr MyComputerCareeer.edu which looks like it offers some sort of CompTIA A+ and Network+ programs but nothing else is really explained unless I submit some information request form. Has anyone used ITT Tech or MyComputerCareer.edu? I realize now the best route for me is to pursue an A+, Network+, then Security+. I don't think I can be as lucky as @krucial85. I need that foundation and time is not on my side.

I hate to shelf this project, because I really am interested in pursuing a career in Information Security. But I would rather pursue it without being "under the gun" of finding a new job. Because I need income to fund this! crash.gif
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Meyer's text for A+ and NET+ are completely worth the investment, likewise, Sybex has a great Sec+ text. You may be just fine with the ExamCram books or Passport books if you simply need a review. Check libraries and used texts to shave a little off the cost if that bothers you. Some folks enjoy videos, others prefer to read, and if you are hardcore, you can take the objectives and simply research it all yourself online and home lab (no books ;) ). I'd recommend the Meyer's book for A+ though.

Is this the A+ book you are suggesting @Plantwiz?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The Passport book you linked is the 'Passport' one I referred to, yes. For Sec+, I'd recommend the Sybex text if you need something more indepth.

Meyers All-in-One for A+ or he has a NET+ text as well, but for Sec+ I'd go with Sybex if more study was needed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?