Options

MVA coursework on LinkedIn profile?

thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I have browsed some LinkedIn profiles of various IT professionals to get an idea of how to build my own profile. Some of them mention MVA (Microsoft Virtual Academy) online courses that they have taken in the coursework section of their profiles. For those unfamiliar, MVA is a website run by Microsoft that provides free online courses in a number of Microsoft technologies. I mainly take courses in Server, Hyper-V, Azure and Exchange.

Does this tend to add much "weight" in terms of demonstrating one's motivation to learn? I have noticed they have experience in the field. If I have no official IT experience, if I include my MVA coursework would it simply look like padding? Or a way to distract my lack of experience?

I would appreciate any input, especially from any hiring managers who scope out candidates on LinkedIn.

Thanks
2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you gonna list all the books you read on a topic as well? I guess it might help if someone didn't know it isn't an actual school or certification.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    LOL. I understand the need to PAD one resume. The answer is NO. Get those certifications. Get a help desk position. Be willing to relocate at anytime.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    LOL. I understand the need to PAD one resume. The answer is NO. Get those certifications. Get a help desk position. Be willing to relocate at anytime.

Haha thanks. Like I said I saw it on other people's LinkedIns so I was wondering if it somehow worked. :-\
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA