Options

is this a sign the interview wasnt successful?

Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it a bad sign after the third interview, if the hiring manager says they have two more person to interview and will let you know the out come?
everything went well I think, I was well prepared for the interview. Most of the Tech questions were asked in the first two interviews, so I think its fair to say, if i didnt do well on those I wouldn't have made the third one. In my head I feel like; If was was really in contention, why would they need to continue interviewing two more candidates. Am I wrong for thinking like that and should I just not get my hopes up and keep on looking?

Comments

• Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can see why you would think that it is bad. But I got a job a about 3 years ago and it took 3 interviews. There was at lease one other person that they were interviewing as well. They offered me the job. Its not uncommon that they may at the end of the interview process have it narrowed dow to a total of 2 or 3 people, then decide on who they liked best of the 3.

Did you email thank you letters? Some time that can make a difference in the decision. It shows you are interested and a willingness to go that extra mile.
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    No, not yet. I plan to give it a few days and see.I just concluded the third interview this afternoon. I was supposed to do a F2f with the hiring manager, but due to the snow storm they decided to go with a phone conference instead. I am thinking, if they do remaining interviews are conducted in person and I wasnt awarded that opportunity due to the storm, that might possibly put me at a disadvantage
  • Options
    overthetopoverthetop Banned Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I never stop looking for jobs until I sign a Offer Letter and have a start date. I have had one to many interviews where you go through the interview, fill out paperwork to scan back to them, and talk to everyone in the company who is somebody only to not hear from them again. So, until I sign on the dotted line, I keep applying. I have been let down more than once...and thats not a good feeling.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You never have a job until you have a signed offer, and even then things can go south. If you're in the job hunt, don't ever stop looking.

It's typical to conduct a round of interviews and then a decision is made upon who to hire--don't sweat it if they said there's more to interview, that is a normal part of the selection process.

Edit: Good call by @overthetop, posting nearly at the same time but emphasizing the same thing ::e-highfive::
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Over is correct. Don't put your heart out for one position or company.
  • Options
    thanks for the input guys.I hope i can be pleasantly suprised with an offer, but wont hold my breath.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Every job I have ever had has told me that. I don't know if it's ever true or just a way to end the conversation. If it helps, each time I heard this, I ended up with the job.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it depends on the job. A lot of entry-level places will telegraph (or unofficially tell you) that you're hired. Once you get out of that area then they want to make sure they have the right candidate.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Ive always heard that. In fact i think some employers do it to get you to accept a lower pay. Its part of the game.
    I once interviewed with 2 employers in the same day. When i got home the second interviewer had a offer in my email. The first said the same thing yours did. I accepted the second interviewing job. Later that night the first place called me back looking for another interview. I turned it down, you could hear in the guys voice "dammit".

Tired of employers acting like they are the superior ones at hand. They talk about all the applications they get, and all of the high unemployment rates, they start feeling like gods in their position. I loved turning them down.
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is exactly the same thing that happened to me 2 weeks ago. Had an interview for a Tier I Help Desk position. Surprisingly, the person who walked out of the interview as i arrived was my newly hired co-worker. So, the interview lasted a good 25 minutes. Called them a week later and they said they'll let me know by the end of the day. They didn't call me back nor sent me an email. But, my co worker heard back from them but didn't get the job offer either. I know how you guys feel.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Business demands may not make time for an immediate decision, especially when you have gone through a panel or interviews with several individuals. Your performance with one person may have been great but another may have said you were not a strong candidate. It will take time for them to go through the list of all candidates and weed through them to agreement.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Because they are good managers and are doing their due diligence.

Sounds like you a being needlessly paranoid. I wouldn't sweat it, either they are going to hire you or they aren't.
  • Options
    bgaudybgaudy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it a bad sign after the third interview, if the hiring manager says they have two more person to interview and will let you know the out come?
    everything went well I think, I was well prepared for the interview. Most of the Tech questions were asked in the first two interviews, so I think its fair to say, if i didnt do well on those I wouldn't have made the third one. In my head I feel like; If was was really in contention, why would they need to continue interviewing two more candidates. Am I wrong for thinking like that and should I just not get my hopes up and keep on looking?

They could have had interviews scheduled for applicants who applied later, and they could be on their 1st or 2nd interview, possibly another candidate going for a third interview. You never know. I just went through this process and was offered a job 4 days after my third interview and the best advice I can give is just be patient and cordial. Its never a bad sign to be at the "third interview" stage of gaining employment.