Options

CCIE R&S Study Order

cwestmaccwestmac Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I am still a few months away from starting my journey towards the CCIE in R&S, however I am currently in the process of assembling my lab (which consists of an ESX server capable of running 20+ CSR1000V instances, and I will be ordering the 3560-24TS-S switches w/ 32MB of flash as soon as I can find a good deal) as well as gathering my study materials and determining a priority for my studies. I have a Safari subscription and will be gaining an INE AAP fairly soon.

I am looking for a logical approach regarding a starting point for my studies. I am studying for the written exam first, and I have my CCNP. I learn best while watching/listening, as well as hands-on, however I am committed to reading as well given how much material I have to learn.

As for materials, I am currently looking at:

- INE's ATC videos for v5
- INE's workbooks
- Routing TCP/IP Volume 1
- Routing TCP/IP Volume 2
- CCIE V5 OCG Volume 1
- CCIE V5 OCG Volume 2
- Internet Routing Architectures
- MPLS Fundamentals
- IPv6 Fundamentals
- Cisco QoS Exam Cert Guide
- Maybe a multicast book
- Others are undecided right now

At this point, I am mainly curious where I should *start* my studies, and when I should introduce the INE ATC videos into my study plan. Should I start reading the fundamental books with broad material coverage, such as Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and Volume 2 first, then the OCG, then watch the ATC videos, then study the more "focused" books such as IRA, MPLS Fundamentals, IPV6 Fundamentels, etc., or should I start with the ATC videos and then read the books? Is there an ideal path that will allow for maximum absorption of information?

I know everyone is different; I am just looking for advice regarding whether I should be starting with the INE videos, or starting with fundamental books, based on the experience of folks who have gone before me. I have limited time to study so every minute is precious.

Thank you,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    everyone is different and different things work for different people. For me its reading/watching a video on a particluar topic I find best.

You might to include the SWITCH FLG/OCG or BCMSN FLG/OCG for spanning-tree in your list as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Scales. I probably will include the SWITCH book too.

At this point I am mainly curious if people recommend starting their CCIE Written studies with INE's ATC, or if most people prefer to start with some reading (Routing TCP/IP, maybe the OCG, etc.) before moving on to INE's videos. Basically I am just trying to decide what I would benefit most from at the beginning of my studies. I know it is personal preference for the most part, but it still doesn't hurt to get other opinions. :P

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    To be honest, you might as well watch the ATC videos. Ultimately there is no "real path" to learning all this stuff, you just end up learning it all.

You might as well start reading the cert books/ATC first, then go through the labs *BEFORE* taking the written. You can take the written "on the way" to the lab and that is a nice marker, but as soon as you pass the exam, your 18 month clock starts ticking for your first attempt at the lab.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    The CCIE is a long journey and one that a lot of people fade out on. I would suggest studying the things that keep you interested at the start while you building "study momentum"; for me, I like DMVPN so one of the first things I cranked out was DMVPN. Then routing protocols over DMVPN, IPsec with DMVPN, and so forth. By the time I got to the less interesting topics for me (e.g. QoS, multicast), I was used to working a 9-5 and studying for 2-4 hours after work and I didn't think anything of it.

Some might argue start with Ethernet basics, then switching, and so forth, but you are CCNP so it's not like those things are new to you and you need to "build a foundation". Anyway, that is what worked for me.

Best of luck on the journey mate, there are a lot of really smart people on this forum so post often and ask questions anytime.
  • Options
    TBickleTBickle Member Posts: 110
    Like IRB said, study the topics which interest you first. That's what i'm doing. What i'm doing is reading the book, watching the videos and then doing small labs in-between. Mix it up but cover one topic at a time. For instance, the OSPF chapter in the CCIE book is over 100 pages long, so i started out reading half of it over the course of two days, and switched over to watching a few INE videos. While watching the INE videos, I fire up a 4 router, two area lab to go through the commands as Brian McGahan discusses them. Some topics will take longer than others. I don't anticipate finishing OSPF in less than one week, as the INE videos are 13 hours worth of lecture, and the chapter is probably close to 3 hours worth of reading. Technical reading should take a bit longer than leisure reading.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I just went through it in order, didn't really think about what I liked, but some topics I looked forward to more than others. But, I don't know if you can do OSPF before like, IP Routing (depends on the candidates present level of understanding of course)

But you can probably leave the deeper L2 stuff til later on if you wanted to do all the routing first.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Something I have learned from colleagues with 3 and 4 CCIE's besides their own particular methods, they all have one thing in common. They simply follow the objectives and do not get lost in the unimportant BS most people run into

I don't understand the need for an ESXi environment when there are other ways to virtualize etc. but to each his own. With that said, what are the objectives for the Written exam?

1.0 Network Principles

10%

Hide Details

1.1 Network theory
    • 1.1.a Describe basic software architecture differences between IOS and IOS XE
      • 1.1.a Control plane and Forwarding plane
      • 1.1.a [ii] Impact to troubleshooting and performances
      • 1.1.a [iii] Excluding specific platform's architecture
    • 1.1.b Identify Cisco express forwarding concepts
      • 1.1.b RIB, FIB, LFIB, Adjacency table
      • 1.1.b [ii] Load balancing Hash
      • 1.1.b [iii] Polarization concept and avoidance
    • 1.1.c Explain general network challenges
      • 1.1.c Unicast flooding
      • 1.1.c [ii] Out of order packets
      • 1.1.c [iii] Asymmetric routing
      • 1.1.c [iv] Impact of micro burst
    • 1.1.d Explain IP operations
      • 1.1.d ICMP unreachable, redirect
      • 1.1.d [ii] IPv4 options, IPv6 extension headers
      • 1.1.d [iii] IPv4 and IPv6 fragmentation
      • 1.1.d [iv] TTL
      • 1.1.d [v] IP MTU
    • 1.1.e Explain TCP operations
      • 1.1.e IPv4 and IPv6 PMTU
      • 1.1.e [ii] MSS
      • 1.1.e [iii] Latency
      • 1.1.e [iv] Windowing
      • 1.1.e [v] Bandwidth delay product
      • 1.1.e [vi] Global synchronization
      • 1.1.e [vii] Options
    • 1.1.f Explain UDP operations
      • 1.1.f Starvation
      • 1.1.f [ii] Latency
      • 1.1.f [iii] RTP/RTCP concepts
    1.2 Network implementation and operation
    • 1.2.a Evaluate proposed changes to a network
      • 1.2.a Changes to routing protocol parameters
      • 1.2.a [ii] Migrate parts of a network to IPv6
      • 1.2.a [iii] Routing protocol migration
      • 1.2.a [iv] Adding multicast support
      • 1.2.a [v] Migrate spanning tree protocol
      • 1.2.a [vi] Evaluate impact of new traffic on existing QoS design
    1.3 Network troubleshooting
    • 1.3.a Use IOS troubleshooting tools
      • 1.3.a debug, conditional debug
      • 1.3.a [ii] ping, traceroute with extended options
      • 1.3.a [iii] Embedded packet capture
      • 1.3.a [iv] Performance monitor
    • 1.3.b Apply troubleshooting methodologies
      • 1.3.b Diagnose the root cause of networking issue [analyze symptoms, identify and describe root cause]
      • 1.3.b [ii] Design and implement valid solutions according to constraints
      • 1.3.b [iii] Verify and monitor resolution
    • 1.3.c Interpret packet capture
      • 1.3.c Using Wireshark trace analyzer
      • 1.3.c [ii] Using IOS embedded packet capture

2.0 Layer 2 Technologies

15%

Show Details

3.0 Layer 3 Technologies

40%

Show Details

4.0 VPN Technologies

15%

Show Details

5.0 Infrastructure Security

5%

Show Details

6.0 Infrastructure Services

15%

Show Details

I would put this all in a spreadsheet, you now have a clear indication of what is expected of you and how each category is weighed. Now that you have your spreadsheet with these items laid out, input a progress and competency field and be honest. At each one, if you fully understand it and can basically teach someone or explain it in detail to someone then you are "competent" in that, then move on.

Speaking of BS, should you as a R&S focused individual spend weeks of your time focused on Infrastructure Security at 5%? It's easy to get into and go down rabbit holes but at the end of the day it's 5%, go in and get the jist of it and move on, more important things to focus on.

Anyway, this is basically the approach I have had laid out to me and it makes sense, it's good to have a mentor or someone who has been through the process, it really helps. I wish you all the luck...
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I used ESXi purely for CSR's - but there are so many options. At the end of the day, as long as the actual routers code is close to the exam, it really doesn't matter. ESX worked for me because I happened to have the server anyway...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone; I really appreciate the responses.

The common trend seems to be to study what I like first, so I'm going to do that. I learn best from labbing, watching, and listening, so I believe the INE videos + following along with my CSR1000V's running would be the best way to start. Of course, I don't have my INE subscription yet, so I may start with Routing TCP/IP first and switch over once my work purchases the subscription for me. I am also waiting for the best deal I can find on 4x Cisco 3560-24ts-s switches -- I live in Canada so it's common for the shipping to be outrageous. I've seen a few really good deals over the years, so I'll probably focus entirely on IP routing at first and switch to deep L2 stuff once I have my switches.

Also, I'll be doing exactly what RouteMyPacket suggested and putting the entire blueprint for the written and lab into a spreadsheet. I'll focus my efforts on a particular subject, and then mark my competency. Over time, I'll increase my competency in that subject, and I'll keep re-evaluating it. I like that approach.

When I'm fully on board with my study plan and am ready to action it, I'll probably create a thread and update it as much as I can. I've seen others do that and it's a great way to keep yourself accountable and on track.

PS: I use ESX to run 20+ CSR1000V instances instead of using real routers or another virtual platform. It's just preference really; it hasn't failed me yet. INE recommended it, and since I plan on primarily using them, I decided to purchase a server and go that route.

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    Also, I like ESX because I can setup a Wireshark VM and do packet captures on my labs. I'm sure there are other ways to do this, but I'm comfortable with this route.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I'm pretty sure there are a few things you can't do with CSR (well, at least the release I was using) such as netflow and NVI. Not show stopping topics, but just something to keep in mind.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Something I have learned from colleagues with 3 and 4 CCIE's besides their own particular methods, they all have one thing in common. They simply follow the objectives and do not get lost in the unimportant BS most people run into

ESXi is for labbing....specifically the CSR1000V. If you can sort out a stable lab environment thats pretty much most of the "BS" sorted out
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I don't understand the need for an ESXi environment when there are other ways to virtualize etc. but to each his own.

I've had issues with all other methods. Even VIRL, which I assumed would be close to "production grade" has some weird multicast issue when run on Vmware Workstation. That particular issue/bug cost me an entire night and was only uncovered because I cried so much on IRC that a few CCIEs got on the case (thanks guys :)). If I hadn't had help, I would have assumed that I just did something wrong. The issue involves the multicast data plane failing when the diameter of the network gets big enough, but I don't think anyone has really bothered to really get to the bottom of it, because why bother when VIRL on ESXi doesn't have the same issue.

IOU works, kind of, but it's not reliable enough for full scale stuff in my opinion. I've had game breaking bugs involving multicast in particular, like LDP not working on some image. Suitable for "single protocol" unicast labs where you pretty much already know the outcome, nothing else. I have no confidence in it and there's literally no useful support because it's all leaked semi-legal stuff. It boots fast though, that's good.

GNS3/Dynamips may actually be underrated nowadays. It does multicast really well for one, something that the other methods seem to fail at. I tend to use this the most at the moment with VIRL for XR testing.

If I had a spare computer I would run an actual production grade setup (CSR1000v, etc) in a heartbeat to remove or minimize these issues.
  • Options
    I can echo a lot of the above - sometimes you configure things on these exotic systems and sure it works 95% of the time - but it's that 5% - when you come up against a bug and you are left wondering if you are just being a n00b or what. I was actually glad that I bought a v4 lab and did a ton of labbing on that - that helped a lot! And I would wager that if you bought all the same devices now - you could easily cover the vast majority of the v5 topics on old gear. Sure, some featuers you won't be able to but the bulk, you can.