Options

Higher pay or a lower pay with benift

slee335slee335 Member Posts: 124
i got a potential job offer 45/h no benifit vs my current position 32/h a hour with benifit. my current is a data center its 24 hour rotating shift every two weeks no holidays off. potential offer is regular hour 9-5 with holidays off. hard choice how much do i value health and dental. the 401k matching sucks at my current. gaining better hours and better days off more pay but i lose health and dental i got to purchase that myself.

Comments

• Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just evaluate the cost of the plan they are offering. Get on the insurance providers website and find out how much it would cost you to get the plan vs how much income you would be sacrificing.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Find out if you also get paid for those holiday's off. Many contract jobs won't offer paid time off (including holidays) so you will either want to negotiate that in, or if you are lucky they are factoring that in. The pay increase is huge, and honestly, for steady hours you can get your own health insurance for less I'd assume. Look up the cost for healthcare on your own just to make sure that it's a good tradeoff.
  • Options
    i need to find out if they have paid holiday and vacation days. hopefully i get this job better hours alone is worth it i think higher pay better negotiation for later job position.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    More detail needed. Is it the same job title? Is the commute shorter? Is this contract to perm?
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are single, go with the higher pay. If you have to get your own insurance, you're looking around $300 (give or take) a month for decent medical and dental. You'd cover that easily working one week (45 vs 32). Now, even though they say no benefits, some contracting firms actually do offer a plan through them, they just don't include it if you don't want/ask for it. GL.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    difference bettween pay 45/h - 32/h = 12/h
    additional pay per week 12*40 = 480
    additional pay per month (480*52)/12 = 2080

2080 a month will get you some premium health insurance and then some...

If the new job is something you want to do, go for it. If you want to stay were you are now, then stay.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »

If the new job is something you want to do, go for it. If you want to stay were you are now, then stay.

Think that sums it up best.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

That it does, especially when you factor in the average employer provided/subsidized benefits amount to $5-10k/yr
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »

Math is slightly off in this post. The difference per hour is $13, not 12, so it's even better than what you wrote. :) So $520 per week difference. And monthly it would be about 2253.33 difference. That's a hell of a lot of health insurance even for a family coverage. As another has said, you can get great health insurance for about $300 per month, maybe even a little less depending on your age and where you live.

Better hours, better pay, and that equals a big advantage in that contract even with no benefits.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like the higher pay no ben would be better in this situation.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    that's does sum it up. currently my commute is closer walking distance 15 min one way. 30 min total. if i get do end up getting this i would have to take the train commute would end up around 30-35 min one way 1 hour total commute. i don't get the difference between job with benefit and job without it? they have contract with the customer for IT service its like full time but with no health or 401k benefit. its a Canadian base consultant company. i asked if they do lose there contract for it support they would transfer me to another possible customer. its not a contract for a project .
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Math is slightly off in this post.
    icon_silent.gif It happens...
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    slee335 wrote: »
    that's does sum it up. currently my commute is closer walking distance 15 min one way. 30 min total. if i get do end up getting this i would have to take the train commute would end up around 30-35 min one way 1 hour total commute. i don't get the difference between job with benefit and job without it? they have contract with the customer for IT service its like full time but with no health or 401k benefit. its a Canadian base consultant company. i asked if they do lose there contract for it support they would transfer me to another possible customer. its not a contract for a project .

What is it you're questioning? The difference between your current job that has benefits, or the possible job with out benefits? You can get your own benefits with the new job and you will actually make still make more than your current position. If you are single, you only play around $300 per month for medical and dental. You made that extra one week with new job. So the rest of the month, you're making an extra $1500+. As for the commute, depending on how far you are from the train station, you may save on gas. You have to see what a monthly train pass would be. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Keep a couple things in mind when deciding about going with company benefits vs. getting your own.

Find out how much your hourly rate is with and without benefits. One position I was looking at paid $55hr with benefits and $58hr without. Look at the benefits they offer as well. It is not worth $3hr if they have high deductible crappy benefits. This position in particular choose the cheapest benefits they could find so they could tell the candidate that they offer benefits then passed the entire cost over to the employee. After some math I found that an Obamacare gold level health plan with dental and vision was $300 a month and still better than the plan they offered.

If it is a contract gig you don't need to buy into their 401k plan if they are not matching. Get your own retirement plan and save the hassle of moving it around later. Also, if you leave a company with a 401k make sure you roll it over to your own retirement account.

At the company I work for now I only get paid for the hours I work. I also work for a government agency that has 21 holidays each year so I don't get paid for any of them. Be sure to work out how you can make up the time so you get your hours in and still enjoy the days off.

#1 thing to remember. If you are a contractor you have zero job security. They can let you go at any time for any reason and there is nothing you can do about it. You are paid a higher wage because you are accepting this risk. Set aside an emergency fund in case this happens.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    i didn't hear back from the company had a skype interview felt i did well they said will contact me back. its been about 11 days since. should i call them and ask whats going on?
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I certainly would.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Medical generally run $300 a month and that does not include dental benefits. This is one reason I seek full time employment and got off of contract. Unfortunately its not what I want to do , but $600 yr vs paying $300 a month is a no brainer at the help desk.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs