Options

When should you stop learning?

I've got a bit of an internal crisis going in my head.

Here is my dilemma, I love learning, and cause of my ADD I switch learning topics monthly. I've been blessed to have a photographic memory and I learn fast. However, I'm at that point in my career where I feel I need to specialize. I am struggling, is it even worth specializing? I mean, I can utilize my abilities to work with people and my business knowledge which has helped me get to where I am and simply pull in people as needed.

What I am getting at is, why should I deeply learn programming, networking, ect when I can either Google the specifics of what I need, read a book, or hire someone from India at $10/hr? I have limited time and my scatter-shot mind wants to learn everything.

Does what I am asking make sense? I can clarify, but basically, I'm really weighing the value of learning more technical "stuff" or simply growing in my technical leadership and high level architecture/consulting skills.

Thanks folks!

-Phil

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you want to do. If you enjoy being a jack of all trades with a mile wide and inch deep knowledge base more power to you. Pair that with some good business acumen and you can make yourself a pretty good career.

Learning the deep technical specifics of something goes way beyond being able to google something though. And if your idea of deep technical knowledge is something you can pay $10 an hour for I think you are sorely underestimating what it costs to get an actual expert from India or anywhere else.

In the end though it's two different paths. No one can tell you which is better for you. Both lead to plenty of money so just do what makes you happy man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Learning the deep technical specifics of something goes way beyond being able to google something though.

I couldn't agree more, some of the SQL exception reports I am writing are all about theorizing and attempting to code the right solution. Sometimes I'll stumble across a piece of code that may help, but not always.

@ Philz wish I had an answer for you. This is your path and only you can make these decisions. You won't find the answers you are looking for on a message board. As always JMHO
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't want to do the job of an expert than I don't suggest learning the topic that deeply.

If you want to learn something take it as far as it interests you.
    If you need to learn something take it as far as you need too.

Often answers come from simplifying the questions.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Phil,

I'll challenge you on the comment of "When should you stop learning?

The simple answer is NEVER (or you are dead, then who knows?)

As implied above, if you need to prioritize your goals, evaluate what you NEED to know vs. want to know and invest your time accordingly.
    Many people give Steven Covey the credit (and he has restated this list as well), but Ike can be credited with it before Covey and I feel deserves the credit (because I heard of it from Randy Paush)

Eisenhower's Urgent/Important Principle - Time Management Skills

http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/documents/TimeManagementGrid.pdf

If you struggle with time management / organization or whatever fancy catch-phase you want to give it (adult ADD/ADHD) fit the task into the quadrant and go from there...either do it, delay it, delegate it or delete it.

But never stop learning.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    @N2IT

I agree, not necessarily looking for answers but rather looking for alternative ideas. I think it was Einstein who said you can't solve a problem with the same level of thinking you used to create it?

@Plantwiz
    This was really helpful, I read 7 habits but have never really applied it. I guess one of the issues is the lack of a end in mind...

@networker050184
    Let me clarify,

I work on the consulting, design side. If I needed something prototyped I would build the Model and just pay for the low cost coding. That's what I meant by my India comment. Anyone can code with the right training. Setting up a model for the code, use case, and DB that actually works is the harder part. That's what I do well.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've thought about this. I'm very young but I've thought about "When will enough be enough?" because I don't want to study 5 nights a week until the day I retire lol. I have a ton to learn before I can really think about this question though. 10+ years away I bet.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't study five nights a week in a structured manner, but I do spend quite a bit of time learning and expanding my knowledge. Once the base is built through the years of hardcore study you can bolt other things on much easier. You also start to master the way you learn which helps streamline the process.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    philz,

I would consider myself somewhat of a Generalist. I manage a VMWare environment with Windows Servers. I manage Dell and Cisco switches along with Cisco APs. I would much rather specialize in something than attempt to be a jack of all trades. It's very easy to get burnt out by trying to maintain your vendor certifications and to keep your skills current.

I can also relate to you as I switch learning topics monthly...

I've got the VCP5-DCV, MCSA Server 2012, CEH, and CISSP study guides sitting on my desk at home if that tells you anything.

I recommend picking a specialty that you enjoy the most and aligns with your career goals.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You never really want to stop learning. I see a LOT of ppl in my job that have "settled" and been there for 20 or more years, and haven't taken the time to do something better or more with their careers. It's at that point when ppl tend to stop and ride it out till retirement. Although you may have a good job now, it sounds like you are bored and have peaked.

I totally understand the need to be doing something. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me if I'm not involved in some kind of project to keep me busy. I guess the question would be to you is, do you want to find a new job, or can you move up within your company. Plus what types of jobs in your area are available? You have to do what makes you happy...and of course within reason.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel your pain as I struggle to focus all the time. Usually I can get about three weeks into a topic before something causes me to switch gears. I'd suggest that you specialize as that is my plan and being a generalist gets pretty old pretty quick. Slowly, but surely, I am willing my way into Python/Big Data/Information Assurance :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    @=the_Grinch
    Thanks I've decided my niche is Architecture for the enterprise and system integration. I still really like the security route, but I'm more geared towards the Governance, Risk, and Audit piece of it.

@the_Grinch

Btw: Side Note, did you get your DSU acceptance letter? Remember that you need to bug the crap out of them....
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    I've decided my niche is Architecture for the enterprise and system integration.

Well done Philz
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Yep, now to just keep my focus on that icon_biggrin.gif....
  • Options

I'll send you a TOGAF book for your birthday :)
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I think theres a lot of money on specializing. In my field, I know some guys making 175k + bonus. In san jose, there are network engineers making 250k. I believe the more you know, the more you do, the more money you make.

I guess this depends also in your current situation. Do you want to move up on your company? What position are you aiming for?

Pertaining to outsourcing "network" guys to India. I believe they will never outsource a govt network to India. They will always need someone on sight to deal with the network. Someone that is a US citizen and has TOP secret/secret clearance. Google,facebook, apple are still hiring people in US. These guys have so much money and smart people. They could outsource everything if they want to but they wont.
  • Options

Coding guys in India
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your in IT buddy you should never stop learning. In regards to direction have your specialization then spread out to other technologies. But if you have the memory to recall everything, then become that jack of all trades. But actually knowledge always triumph over the use of google.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    .. In my field, I know some guys making 175k + bonus. In san jose, there are network engineers making 250k.....

That's amazing and really gives me motivation to keep expanding my skills! something to look forward to

out of curiosity, what do these guys do? I want to be these guys one day!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well, from prior posts of your Philz, I would strongly suggest that you start to find exactly what it is that you enjoy and specializing in that. Not only will it make you happier overall because you are doing exactly what you enjoy, you'll also begin to really see big pay bumps by specializing in whatever catches your happiness the most. Being one myself, who wants to know and learn everything, it is a struggle. I fear that what if I do specialize, and get to be so good at it that I may feel bored and not challenged? At the end of the day I need to learn that if I become the expert in what I truly enjoy, the money will come and the challenges will come and go as projects and technology advance. I want and strive to be the go to guy, and really the only way to really do that is by specializing. That is something that all employers can see and respect. They want that SME. They have plenty of JOAT's that can do a good job on everything, but they really want the one person who knows a specific program inside and out and extremely deep. They are seen as highly valuable and are willing to pay good money for that.

Of course, you'll never stop "learning" and you have to keep that in mind. You may never become a high level programmer, and that is fine. That is why there are folks who are programmers. You'd probably be best off having a jr. developer that you can work alongside and he/she can understand what your goal is for the programming side and help you get there as easily, and without extra bloat as possible. If programming is such a minor part of your focus, it doesn't do you, or your employer any favors by taking you away from the big picture to really focus on what you need/want to achieve your goals. I'm not saying that you have to outsource to India/China/Where-ever when your employer may already have someone that can help assist you, or they can hire someone on contract to help you fill in those gaps as you need them.

So, long post short, focus on your specialty and don't sweat the little things that really are a drop in the bucket for what needs to be done.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @philz1982 - I did email them and they said they were submitting it to the selection committee in the coming weeks. I might send them another email on Monday just to check. My boss as accept to their DSc in Cyber Security and likes it a lot so far.
    philz1982 wrote: »
    @=the_Grinch
    Thanks I've decided my niche is Architecture for the enterprise and system integration. I still really like the security route, but I'm more geared towards the Governance, Risk, and Audit piece of it.

@the_Grinch

Btw: Side Note, did you get your DSU acceptance letter? Remember that you need to bug the crap out of them....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From what I see in the IT field, if we want to keep up with technology and business trends, continuous learning is our fate.
  • Options
    Continuously learning not only technology but improvement in general. With that said, I've learned to scope into one or two things (this works for me) and deep dive until I decide this is no longer adding value. I usually have to have weeks upon weeks go by before I make this decision. I don't like making snap judgements, but if a week or two go by and I'm not thinking it makes sense anymore I transition off.

This helps me to keep relevant (even a little head) and continue to learn structured and deep dive.

With your eidetic memory you are capable for managing more information. Most people aren't like that so I doubt the advice that I provide you will be helpful.