Options

Finally Decided On The System Admin Path...What Are Cert Steps for This Path?

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Good morning/afternoon everyone,

Just a little history about me, I've been in IT for about a year and a half now. Landed my first position at a pretty solid company doing Desktop Support. I've spent the last few months of so going back and forth between rather or not I wanted to specialize in networking or system administration. I've finally decided on sys admin, but now my question becomes what is the proper certification path for this. Presently I do not have any so this would be me building from the group up. Looking for any and all input on this as it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Do you want to manage servers?

Go for the VCP5-DCV (Vmware) and MCSA: Server 2012.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Agree with ASPIRINGSOUL.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depending on how technical you are, I'd probably jump right into the MCSA 2012 if you want to work with Microsoft and then MCSE once you've gotten some hands on experience with Server 2012.

Or Linux+ then RHCA if you want to work towards Linux.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Click below for more information about the relevant certifications:

MCSA

VCP5-DCV

Linux+

If you're interested in Networking, then I would definitely recommend the CCNA. Even if you do not wish to manage networking equipment such as Switches and Routers, the knowledge that you gain from studying for the certification would be extremely beneficial to you.

CCNA
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a sys admin track you want to determine if you want Microsoft or Linux. Assuming Microsoft you would want to go MCSA and then MCSE if you can swing it. Depending on if you want to specialize you may want to consider the SQL/Database track or the Messaging (Exchange/Lync) track for MCSE otherwise Infrastructure is the general Windows Server track to follow for MCSE. Once you have gotten that far virtualization is definitely something to look into and depending on your infrastructure you would have several vendor specific ways to go. If you use Hyper-V for servers then you can stay Microsoft and look at that track. If you use VMware at work then you could investigate the VCP track. Tailor your studies to the direction you want to go in combination with the services your current or future company may use. I mentioned Microsoft Hyper-V as it is the second largest virtualization infrastructure in use right now and different from VMware. Hands-on experience or tailoring yourself to your environment is the best way to level up within an organization.
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Assuming Microsoft track

MCSA 2012 is definitively a must. I would go for a CCNA as well since you mentionned Networking was somewhat of an interest to you. After that, in terms of Virtualization, I'd say knowing both Hyper-V and VMWare would be good, perhaps replace your 70-412 exam by the 74-409? A VCP is very in demand as well. Those are the most important certs, others can could be worth getting are Project+ and Security+

idk Chicago's market, but I know here in Montreal, having an A.S. is a bare minimum and Bachelor's makes your life easier, so consider an Associate's Degree or even WGU BSIT Network Administrator (don't pay attention to the name).

You have to also keep in mind if there are any specialties you want to do, keep an open mind. For example, Cloud/Terminal Servers/Citrix could be interesting, or perhaps dabble in a bit of a hybrid DBA/Sys Admin role (SQL)
  • Options
    Excellent info in this thread. I've been pondering going to WGU for a few months now as well as that would be couple of birds in one stone by obtaining both a degree and certifications. Sounds like it's time to get started on MCSA 2012.
  • Options
    CCNA would probably waive that Network+ course and you usually need a cert or 2 to get into WGU anyways. Doing MCSA on your own and transferring it in later would probably save you money if that matters to you. Also think of possibly studying for Project+ and Security+ before getting in WGU and knock them out in your first semester, saves you a good 500$. With MCSA + CCNA + Project+ & Sec+, you would already be easily at least 1/3 done with your degree, by the end of your first semester, you could be already past the halfway point of your degree (this assumes you've done MCSA, CCNA and studied for Proj and Sec+ beforehand), and you'd have great certs already
  • Options
    Thanks for that info Nster!
  • Options
    Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

Also, to find out what certs might waive what classes, look here: https://share.wgu.edu/sites/academic/shb/transferguidelines/Pages/default.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fsites%2Facademic%2Fshb%2Ftransferguidelines%2FDocuments%2FIT&FolderCTID=0x012000BAFD9E996273EB42BCB3C64C36096520&View=%7BDBC2AA55-1B89-4E6D-BCA6-60872A61D740%7D

MCSA used to get you 39 CUs (out of 122), now I'm not sure anymore, I'd think it should still be in the 30s even after their restructuring. It usually takes between 3-6 months for the average to complete an MCSA.

I'm thinking of doing something similar in terms of WGU (Net. Admin path) too :) Here's what I'll be doing to prepare myself:

- Rush study for 99$ Project+ on last day of special (28th) - ProctorU
    - By the end of free 2nd try special (May 31st) finish 70-410+411, ideally MCSA completely
    - CCNA when I have time/motivation, regardless of it giving transfer credits or not
    - VCA-DCV for HR bypass on CV in one day whenever I feel like it, VCA-Cloud + NV if I feel like it as well

My situation: goind down to 2 days a week at work starting march, have a certificate in Network Administration and a 1.5 - 2 yrs experience. I am hoping for a July~August entry in WGU

Look at job postings in your area to get a feel on what certs seem to matter more and how comfortable you are with the task list
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Do you want to manage servers?

Go for the VCP5-DCV (Vmware) and MCSA: Server 2012.

+1; but also having a A+, Net+, Sec+ helps more than you think with those two combinations. More so with Security, basis Security eludes so many networks it's bloody scary....
    Click below for more information about the relevant certifications:

MCSA

VCP5-DCV

Linux+

If you're interested in Networking, then I would definitely recommend the CCNA. Even if you do not wish to manage networking equipment such as Switches and Routers, the knowledge that you gain from studying for the certification would be extremely beneficial to you.

CCNA

100% agree with CCNA, 3 weeks from taking my CCNA and the knowledge I've gained from this training is really helping me with system administration since I understand the logic as-well as the principals of how everything works, from a system administrator respective knowing how **** works, from a networking aspect, allows you to better manage systems and the virtualized infrastructure that relies on it as-well.

Best advice I can give you if you have the mulla and the electric, build out a home-lab, I mean a complete lab. You will learn so much from doing that it's nuts!

Check out my blog in my sig below if you want ideas :)
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    +1; but also having a A+, Net+, Sec+ helps more than you think with those two combinations. More so with Security, basis Security eludes so many networks it's bloody scary....

The problem is a lot of these guys just don't know what they are securing. If they knew what they were doing on the network/systems side, basic security is really just common sense and can be easily applied.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    markulous wrote: »
    The problem is a lot of these guys just don't know what they are securing. If they knew what they were doing on the network/systems side, basic security is really just common sense and can be easily applied.

you'd be surprised how uncommon common security really is... case-n-point; shoulder surfing.
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    you'd be surprised how uncommon common security really is... case-n-point; shoulder surfing.

Unfortunately, I know what you're talking about. It's mindblowing how some of these guys don't think about really basic things.