Options

Starting IT

bobd400bobd400 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
For someone who is ultimately interested in a Networking role who has already completed the CompTIA A+, would be wise to move on to the network certifications (Network+, Microsoft 98-366, CCENT, etc.) or would more of the support type certifications (Microsoft 98-349/365) be the better idea first? From what I've read most folks (regardless of aspirations) start in a support role, and I was wondering if more of those certifications would be better to get in the door.

Thank you,

Comments

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Apply for a help desk position now.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    A+ is a good first step. When you say Networking role... Do you have any specifics in mind? Would you like to work with routers/switches or servers? Microsoft or Linux? How old are you? Is an Associate's Degree or even just a certificate a possibility? If you haven't been exposed to the different aspects of networking, a certificate or degree can help you find out what you like

If you have no Network experience, Network+ is a good start.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network+ is good to get the foundation and move on to CCNA.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Thanks guys....to follow up..

I'm old! (47...but I don't look a day over 46) icon_smile.gif

As far as drilling down into which "network" role...(difficult because at my level there seems to be a fair bit of crossover in some of the job descriptions).

I know I'm not as keen on what I've read is a network engineer or programmer. Since I haven't done either role, I can't say for sure, but I like the "hands on" nature of the Network Technician (dealing more with the hardware, services and infrastructure) but also find the role of network analyst (progressing to administrator) interesting. I figure until I start to get in the field and interact with these roles I won't really have a solid understanding of where I should progress.

As for education, I have an MBA in Finance. I did start to pursue an associates degree in IT (back when I got the A+ cert) but to be honest, I don't really have the time now to work full time, pursue certifications, manage family responsibilities AND pursue certifications. Would the Associates be BETTER then the certifications?

Thanks for the input folks. Appreciated.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I have a Administration of Justice Degree from GMU. Certifications is what provided me with career growth. No need to go back to school. Others may disagree.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would jump right onto CCENT then CCNA, then see where you want to go after that. Could get a entry level networking job with CCNA. But like someone else said, should probably try and get a help desk role while working toward CCNA. Would probably be tough to get even an entry level networking job with out some prior IT experience.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't go back to school for an associates or bachelors when you have a masters, if anything go for a masters in IT later on to improve your career. Support role would be a good start, I think getting MCP status by passing a windows 7 or 8 mcsa test gives you a leg up on the majority and probably faster progression. Once you get in the field and you're sure you want to get into networking I'd start studying CCENT and if it's too much, step back to Network+.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    I wouldn't go back to school for an associates or bachelors when you have a masters, if anything go for a masters in IT later on to improve your career. Support role would be a good start, I think getting MCP status by passing a windows 7 or 8 mcsa test gives you a leg up on the majority and probably faster progression. Once you get in the field and you're sure you want to get into networking I'd start studying CCENT and if it's too much, step back to Network+.

I agree. No need to go back to school for an associates or bachelors when you already have a masters. You can always go for the masters in IT later on, but right now, you would want to work on getting some certs. I would go for the CCNA. If you don't have access to any routers or switches, download packet tracer. That will help you with getting a feel for how routers and switches work. Also, if you prefer to do a classroom setting, you can look at local community colleges in their "Continuing Education" department and they may offer Cisco, Microsoft, Comptia, VMWare, etc. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks very much guys. So, I'm going to shelve any idea of formal academic study for now (relying on the MBA I have already) and focus on certs.
  • Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bobd400 wrote: »
    Thanks very much guys. So, I'm going to shelve any idea of formal academic study for now (relying on the MBA I have already) and focus on certs.

This seems sensible, you've already proved you have the tenacity and mental ability to complete a masters.

Vocational and technical qualifications would be useful. Also consider some less technical certs like ITIL foundation, basic project management to show you have appreciation for best practice in context of a wider IT or IT Service Management organisation and also be able to work with project managers on their terms.

If you're interested in the theory of computer science and wanted that part of the bachelors, why not try the freely available CS modules from somewhere like coursera?
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    robS wrote: »
    This seems sensible, you've already proved you have the tenacity and mental ability to complete a masters.

Vocational and technical qualifications would be useful. Also consider some less technical certs like ITIL foundation, basic project management to show you have appreciation for best practice in context of a wider IT or IT Service Management organisation and also be able to work with project managers on their terms.

If you're interested in the theory of computer science and wanted that part of the bachelors, why not try the freely available CS modules from somewhere like coursera?

Combining his MBA to ITIL and Project+ or CAPM seems like it would be a great way to move faster up the ladder in the future, especially if he likes being more of a leader. I would focus on getting at least one technical cert first though, these can be done later, when he is creeping out of the entry-level jobs.

Considering your age and education, I would also suggest skipping support and very basic certs unless you feel overwhelmed by the more complicated certs. First thing to figure out is what type of networking you like, so I'd start with trying for a CCENT/CCNA, if you are able to, get the cert even if you find it is out of your interests. If you end up really liking to program and manage the routers and switches, this could be a career path, you could go into design networks for example.

After that, it is a matter of preference. Working towards an MCSA 2012 would help you see if the admin part is interesting for you or not, you could also look over Linux+ stuff too see if that might be of more interest. Don't forget this is to figure out your preferences, if you can't see yourself going into these when you start working on them, move on.
  • Options
    David71David71 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Apply for a help desk position now.

I firmly agree.... The BEST thing is to get you foot in the door even on helpdesk.... Then instead of looking up funny cats
    on youtube in between calls, keep studying for new Certs... I waited till I got my first MCSE before I got a job and I was
    still on the low end.... Nothing replaces certs AND... repeat AND.... working... We all had to start somewhere.... And to be
    honest, FEW if anyone can get a cert and just start running a complex network.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also agree with getting your foot in the door any way you can. For me a little experience went a long way and I was able to move vertically very quickly.
  • Options
    David71David71 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also agree with getting your foot in the door any way you can. For me a little experience went a long way and I was able to move vertically very quickly.

Yep... once you are in, it is all up to you... Just roll with it and by then you have a better idea of the trajectory you will want to follow....Not that will not deviate over time... but you have a better idea of where you wan to go... My own experience is that if it were not for being in healthcare IT, I might have got out of this game by now....