Options

CCNP DC/CCIE DC for VMware Admin

asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
Hello All;

I currently am VMware Admin. I currently support Windows Servers, VMware Servers (ESXI, Vcenter), and also a couple cloud environments (Vcloud Director). We will also now are expected to know Cisco UCS since we will be migrating to Cisco UCS platform.

In preparation for that i have started working on CCNA DC, and will also attempt to CCNP DC.

I am wondering if there is any value a VMware admin to get his CCNP DC and CCIE DC, since i am not a Networking person.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    +1 for a response, this interests me too!
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Anything you learn will help, but it has to make since for your org. I have done quite a few UCS installs, since when they buy UCS they are usually buying voice services. Sometimes the network team owns UCS, other times the server team. So to answer your questions it depends on your organization. If you are interested in learning them to go for it, but understand in your org it may not be what they want from your group.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, you are already a CCNA so you are at least aware of "base" networking which is a solid start.

I would say absolutely CCNA: DC would be a good fit for you, but I think a lot of it is around the Nexus/UCS etc- centric topics which is what you are after. I think there should be a demarcation between "networking" and "data center networking" when it comes to the Cisco Certs because a lot of the DC topics, I should imagine, will cover all those nice topics that we as plain Network Engineers may not encounter - i.e. FabricPath, OTV, etc. (Well OTV we might, but you know what I mean)

Also, man you are so well rounded - MCITP, VCAP, CCNA! I love it. VMware certs are where I am headed next then I'm looping back for the CCIE: DC ultimately.