Options

Early career confusion or lack of motivation?

itstudent10itstudent10 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all - It's been a while since I've visited these forums but I'm back (and I have been reading in between though as always!).

A while back, I created a thread as a junior system admin looking to get into information security. I didn't have a clear idea yet of what my ideal position would be (besides being something technical and security related), but I just wanted to get my foot in the door for future pursuits in that area of IT. Since that thread (and thanks to all who contributed with their advice), I took an offer as a security analyst (also junior level), but shortly after, I have found myself bored in this current position and thinking about whether this move was too quick for me.

I am grateful that I got this opportunity, but I'm only doing compliance/procedural work - whereas in my old position, I got a rush just out of working in Linux, patching systems and troubleshooting issues.

I don't have any certs, although I have thought about looking into CCNA, Network+, and Security+ as recommended here in the past. In terms of my future goals - I would like to get in the more technical side of security. As to what that means, I've done research and becoming a security engineer would be more of what I'm interested in (any other suggestions would be welcome). I like system administration and working with Linux, but the on-call wasn't something I was too crazy about (I know that will come with security also - but I am more interested in security, so that's a major difference).

Has anyone ever encountered similar thoughts early on in their careers? (Technical vs. non-technical work) And how have you managed it? And would you have any advice for me going forward? Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Again, I hope I don't sound snobby given the current economy - I wake up appreciating the fact that I have this job, but I guess being a couple of years out of college, I'm still finding my feet in IT and would appreciate any advice.

Cheers

ITStudent10