Options

Cisco Release software definitions. Please help !

R1R2R1R2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey All ! Please help to define the following: RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) --- (This is part of Version 12.4(15)T10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) ) I have understood the following "Version 12.4(15)T10," However, what I have not been able to find a definition for is "RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)" ?? I have been searching for hours but without any results. Hence, 1- Why is it called "Release software"? 2- What does "fc3" stand for? Really appreciate if I can get this clarified ! Thank you in advance !

Comments

• Options
    HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
    I'm not saying there isn't anyone here that couldn't help you with this question, but I might would have asked this question in an higher up level.

Maybe the CCIE peeps
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    R1R2 wrote: »
    Hey All !
    Please help to define the following:
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
    --- (This is part of Version 12.4(15)T10, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3) )

I have understood the following "Version 12.4(15)T10,"
    However, what I have not been able to find a definition for is "RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)" ??
    I have been searching for hours but without any results.
    Hence,
    1- Why is it called "Release software"?
    2- What does "fc3" stand for?

Really appreciate if I can get this clarified !
    Thank you in advance !

Might I ask why it matters?

All you need to worry about is 12.4 and the image on the rom, normally ends with a .bin. Do a 'show version or show ver' and copy the entire read-out to this thread.

I mean if your trying to do something fancy and your router/switch needs to do something special you have two different flavors of the image: the basic 'SMI' and the advanced 'EMI' image.
  • Options
    R1R2R1R2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your answer and sincere reply !
    I will consider to do this.

@Deathmage
    Thank you for your answer too !

I have added some additional information to my question and I hope this will bring clarification to the issue.

Anyway, you may have a point that it may only be interesting theoretically.
    However, I am writing an article about version and releases hence, I need to have this issue also clarified.
    Thanks a lot !
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wish I wouldn't have saw this.... I'm curious on what it is now. Can't seem to find any information on it either :P
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Why not just contact Cisco and pose your question to them? Normally that is a sub version number designator of a major version release often times you will see it associated with specific hardware, meaning that is has all of the major features of the major version with a few idiosyncrasy specific to that hardware. This particular software IOS you are talking about I have seen designated SE(major release) with the sub release numbers of (fc1) and (fc3) But contact Cisco, I am sure they can provide you a more precise answer on the sub version numbers.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    As an ex-Cisco TAC guy, I can tell you this much. "RELEASE SOFTWARE" means just what you think it does. It is for public release, not an experimental or debug image. "fc3" I don't remember now unfortunately.

Incidentally, in TAC we used to say the "T" stands for "Trash". In the 12.4 train, for example, 12.4 without the "T" is the stable version which only has bug fixes committed. The "T" train has new features committed and is inherently less stable. I don't know if Cisco still does it this way as I have worked at Juniper for 5 years now.