Options

Next career step: servers or networking

La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I’m 32 years old and for last 6-7 years I’ve been working in London as self-employed technician, fixing, installing and maintaining computers (in a nutshell) only for SOHO users. So in that field I have quite a lot of experience.
Because I’ve noticed that every year it's becoming more and more difficult to make a living by working as a freelancer technician, I decided to learn something new and find an employment in IT sector. Before I decide what I'm going to study I have some questions and would really appreciate any advice.

1.Servers vs Networking
Considering my age and my previous experience; what would be the best next step for me if Is would like to do some certification or degree? What sort of specialization would you recommend? I was thinking about either servers or networking. Can anyone advise me in which field:
- is higher demand for technicians these days?
- are better opportunities for developing career?
- I could count on better salary?
- Which one is more interesting?
- Which one is easier and quicker to learn (at least to get an entry level job)

2.Regarding servers
- is MSCA is a good starting point (I have almost none experience in servers)? Will I be able to find a job after passing this exam?
- Is it a good idea to start studying from Windows Server 2012 or shall I start from previous versions like Windows Server 2008?
- Can anyone recommend a good book\eBook\online tutorial\college or other material to learn from to prepare to exam?
I was thinking about doing 4-8 weeks course in college, but it cost £1000 (just training), £1400 with books or £1800 with books and with exams.
I don’t know if it’s worth it. Maybe it would be possible and way cheaper to prepare for exam by learning from eBook or online tutorial at home?

3.Regarding networking
- If I would decide to study networking; should I start from preparing for CCENT, CCT or CCNA? I have some experience (not much though) in networking?
- what is more practical to learn these days; servers or networking?
- Can anyone recommend way to study to prepare for exam?
- Is it worth learning both servers and networking at the same time before I find a job?

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    You have to ask yourself which one do you like the most?
    You have to learn servers once you move to the Top of networks.
  • Options
    jleydon82jleydon82 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I’m 32 years old and for last 6-7 years I’ve been working in London as self-employed technician, fixing, installing and maintaining computers (in a nutshell) only for SOHO users. So in that field I have quite a lot of experience.
    Because I’ve noticed that every year it's becoming more and more difficult to make a living by working as a freelancer technician, I decided to learn something new and find an employment in IT sector. Before I decide what I'm going to study I have some questions and would really appreciate any advice.

1.Servers vs Networking
    Considering my age and my previous experience; what would be the best next step for me if Is would like to do some certification or degree? What sort of specialization would you recommend? I was thinking about either servers or networking. Can anyone advise me in which field:
    - is higher demand for technicians these days?
    - are better opportunities for developing career?
    - I could count on better salary?
    - Which one is more interesting?
    - Which one is easier and quicker to learn (at least to get an entry level job)

2.Regarding servers
    - is MSCA is a good starting point (I have almost none experience in servers)? Will I be able to find a job after passing this exam?
    - Is it a good idea to start studying from Windows Server 2012 or shall I start from previous versions like Windows Server 2008?
    - Can anyone recommend a good book\eBook\online tutorial\college or other material to learn from to prepare to exam?
    I was thinking about doing 4-8 weeks course in college, but it cost £1000 (just training), £1400 with books or £1800 with books and with exams.
    I don’t know if it’s worth it. Maybe it would be possible and way cheaper to prepare for exam by learning from eBook or online tutorial at home?

3.Regarding networking
    - If I would decide to study networking; should I start from preparing for CCENT, CCT or CCNA? I have some experience (not much though) in networking?
    - what is more practical to learn these days; servers or networking?
    - Can anyone recommend way to study to prepare for exam?
    - Is it worth learning both servers and networking at the same time before I find a job?

Easy Answer! Networking. Please go the networking route. What is the most common issue I see with Server Admins/Engineer? Lack of networking knowledge. Having even a basic understanding is important of how everything works. It is the backbone to so much. If you have any plans to get into virtualization then it is even better to understand physical networking to then understand virtualized networking.

CCNA is what I would jump right into. The course objectives is what you should download and review what you will learn. Half of the exam is Cisco specific but the other half - the good half - is understand the fundamentals of networking. CompTIA's networking+ covers the networking portion and does not require the hands on skills you need for the CCNA. You could simply study that if your goal is to improve your knowledge. It would be easy to get through especially if you never think you will be touching a Cisco device. However, you can get a job with a CCNA but maybe not so much with Networking.

Personally if someone new in the business wants to get into the SysAdmin field I say you read a Networking+ Book or a video course. Then jump into servers. Having that experience can only help you understand other Windows Server or Linux networking components anyway and it helps bridge the gap between the two. I do not work in networking but I constantly work with networking teams so understanding the terminology has really helped my career.

For networking I would look at using something like Pluralsight.com for CCNA or Networking Video courses ($29.95 per month) - or if you want a book that reflects the test material. I read the following:
    - http://amzn.to/1AKP2Al - Mike Myers (not that guy) Networking+. I never took the exam since I had a recent CCNA cert but I just wanted to read it for fun. It is well done and real great for someone wanting to know a lot about networking.
    - http://amzn.to/1Ft9NkT - Cisco CCNA in 60 Days - I didn't take this when I passed my test but I read through this recently when referring someone else to study material and I really liked it. The author breaks down the topics by day so you know what to read and when and I thought it really helped promote a good learning environment for something that can be pretty complicated. Cisco does require some hands on experience though and unfortunately most people do not have the hardware to test out how to config the network (the exam has lab simulators you will encounter.

- NetSim Cisco Network Simulator & Router Simulator - Boson Net Simulator to the rescue. Although it doesn't support some of the higher end Cisco equipment you see in the real world you will see a lot of the hardware that is on the CCNA exam. There is one specific for CCNA and it includes a step-by-step lab walkthrough that will let you load up simulations , setup and configure devices, and troubleshoot them. It is very cool and I use some of their other programs for fun to test out scenarios of things I am not quite too into.

What you should understand is that Networking+ is the cheap and faster route that will get you networking knowledge. CCNA will take more effort, is more expensive and more demanding of your time. However, having the CCNA can help get a job in some cases.
  • Options
    RHDS2KRHDS2K Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started with the MCSA to get my experience. I got it in 2012. ALWAYS go for the newest technology right away. Employers like to see credentials that are up to date. It shows that not only are you relevant, but you will be able to support the new technology once they roll it out in the future. I had almost zero server experience, but from studying for the Microsoft exams, i very quickly went from a regular support tech at my previous job to the server guy that did maintenance and improved processes. MS exams are a huge eye catchers to hiring managers.
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself which one do you like the most?
    You have to learn servers once you move to the Top of networks.
    It's quite hard for me to decide whether I want to go for servers or networking. I never dealt with servers and I did some networking which I found interesting.
  • Options
    RHDS2K wrote: »
    I started with the MCSA to get my experience. I got it in 2012. ALWAYS go for the newest technology right away. Employers like to see credentials that are up to date. It shows that not only are you relevant, but you will be able to support the new technology once they roll it out in the future. I had almost zero server experience, but from studying for the Microsoft exams, i very quickly went from a regular support tech at my previous job to the server guy that did maintenance and improved processes. MS exams are a huge eye catchers to hiring managers.
    That was my main concern in case I would go for server route, but most of the job offers I've seen required knowledge of Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2008 R2, surprisingly more often knowledge of Windows Server 2003 rather then 2012, but maybe that's just UK. I would prefer to start studying from Windows Server 2012, because obviously it would save me plenty of time but my main goal is to find a job ASAP
  • Options
    jleydon82 wrote: »
    Easy Answer! Networking. Please go the networking route. What is the most common issue I see with Server Admins/Engineer? Lack of networking knowledge. Having even a basic understanding is important of how everything works. It is the backbone to so much. If you have any plans to get into virtualization then it is even better to understand physical networking to then understand virtualized networking.CCNA is what I would jump right into. The course objectives is what you should download and review what you will learn. Half of the exam is Cisco specific but the other half - the good half - is understand the fundamentals of networking. CompTIA's networking+ covers the networking portion and does not require the hands on skills you need for the CCNA. You could simply study that if your goal is to improve your knowledge. It would be easy to get through especially if you never think you will be touching a Cisco device. However, you can get a job with a CCNA but maybe not so much with Networking.Personally if someone new in the business wants to get into the SysAdmin field I say you read a Networking+ Book or a video course. Then jump into servers. Having that experience can only help you understand other Windows Server or Linux networking components anyway and it helps bridge the gap between the two. I do not work in networking but I constantly work with networking teams so understanding the terminology has really helped my career.For networking I would look at using something like Pluralsight.com for CCNA or Networking Video courses ($29.95 per month) - or if you want a book that reflects the test material. I read the following:- http://amzn.to/1AKP2Al - Mike Myers (not that guy) Networking+. I never took the exam since I had a recent CCNA cert but I just wanted to read it for fun. It is well done and real great for someone wanting to know a lot about networking.- Cisco CCNA in 60 Days: 9780956989291: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com - Cisco CCNA in 60 Days - I didn't take this when I passed my test but I read through this recently when referring someone else to study material and I really liked it. The author breaks down the topics by day so you know what to read and when and I thought it really helped promote a good learning environment for something that can be pretty complicated. Cisco does require some hands on experience though and unfortunately most people do not have the hardware to test out how to config the network (the exam has lab simulators you will encounter.- NetSim Cisco Network Simulator & Router Simulator - Boson Net Simulator to the rescue. Although it doesn't support some of the higher end Cisco equipment you see in the real world you will see a lot of the hardware that is on the CCNA exam. There is one specific for CCNA and it includes a step-by-step lab walkthrough that will let you load up simulations , setup and configure devices, and troubleshoot them. It is very cool and I use some of their other programs for fun to test out scenarios of things I am not quite too into.What you should understand is that Networking+ is the cheap and faster route that will get you networking knowledge. CCNA will take more effort, is more expensive and more demanding of your time. However, having the CCNA can help get a job in some cases.
    Thank you very much jleydon82. This is super helpful. I've heard before that it's better to start studying from networking first, but I was a bit repelled because you have to to retake CISCO exams (as far as I know) comparing to Microsoft certificates. But the idea that I could actually learn networking at home from Networking+ Book or a video course, saving lots of money, sounds really good. Also thank you very much for advice regarding study materials. This makes it much easier for me
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    If you have interest in Networking then it's best for you to pursue the CISCO path: CCNA, CCNP etc...I know people that studied hard for 3 months and were able to obtain the CCNA.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That was my main concern in case I would go for server route, but most of the job offers I've seen required knowledge of Windows Server 2008 or Windows 2008 R2, surprisingly more often knowledge of Windows Server 2003 rather then 2012, but maybe that's just UK. I would prefer to start studying from Windows Server 2012, because obviously it would save me plenty of time but my main goal is to find a job ASAP

It is often assumed if you know the new technology you can figure out the old stuff. I can't help you decide what you will enjoy but I do suggest thinking long term when you start studying for the certifications. I started with the basics in 2008r2 but if i go for the MCSA certification I will do the 2012 version.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is correct, 2008 & R2 is highly in use. You will still see alot of 2003 out there too, mostly to run old legacy software. In my opinion go 2008 then you can take 2 test for the 2012. At the moment im studying for my 2008.
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    If you've never worked either as a main role, pick one and do that for 2 years. With networking, you can leverage your skillset of going to different SOHOs and do their networks by working with a contract firm.

MCSA is doable in 3-6 months with virtual machines on a desktop pc. There are several guides out there on virtual labs, and I wouldn't pay for classes on it if you can self-study.

Spend a few weekends setting up Windows Server vms with Active Directory and DNS. If you like it, keep going and learn basic Group Policy. If you're still doing it after that, google the NIST website, download the list to securely lock down a Windows Server 2008 R2 called a STIG and do the 400-odd items by hand.

Or, do networking and buy a 10/100 Cisco lab off ebay. Learn the command line and work toward the CCNA. Understand VLANs, subnetting, etc.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Wireless. Every small to medium sized business I've ever been to has had crappy wireless.
  • Options
    Thanks again for all the help. I think I will take as CCNA route.
    I will try to learn it on my own using some both some good book\eBook and some Video tutorial. If anyone else can recommend something good I would very appreciate it.
    What sort of hardware I should buy? Is 10/100 Cisco lab is all I need?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You mess up a server, you might make a department or person angry, you mess up networks - you make a whole company and customers angry - take your pick lol
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    There are some guides online that say what gear you would need for a hardware 10/100 lab. You're really trying to learn the cisco command line and setting up various services, acls, ports, trunks, etc.

Going from one set of cisco to another, the commands can change, but knowing how to use the ? can give you the nudge to figure it out.

As fredrikjj mentioned, wireless could be a focus point for your studies. Take that lab, add some wireless access points to it, and go that route. You could work with a contractor that does the cat5/6 installs and be their wireless guy.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I'm not the expert but I do have experience in both fields.
    Networking is fairly consistent with technology and it will always be of need to IT/IS infrastructure.
    Servers from my experience can be more volatile as you have a diversity of upgrades, change requests, apps, services, users, groups to support. I find the environment constantly changing so you are doing both operations and infrastructure often. It can be quite a headache.

Honestly, you need to find the things you like to do. Some people like to specialize, some like to be the MacGyver of IT at their organization. Some like to be IT mercenaries and make the big $$ by consulting.

Personally I am moving out of desktop infrastructure & server operations to network, security, virtualization, and servers.

jibbajabba is correct in his statement. I've seen network engineers walked out the door for 10 minutes of downtime. A network down can cause a major cascade failure which equates to losing tons of money.