Options

Native VLAN config

Dark-KnightDark-Knight Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

What is the difference between "switchport native vlan 999" and "switchport trunk native vlan 999"?

It's a 2960 switch on Packet Tracer.

I don't have much understanding of VLANs yet, so if you can send me some links which explain VLANs and especially Native VLANs, that would be great!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Use "switchport trunk native vlan 999" not sure if "switchport native vlan 999" even works on real switches... I'm pretty sure they do the same thing in Packet Tracer though. Not near my equipment atm so couldn't say if that is for sure or not though.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nah switchport native vlan 999 won't work.

The point of "switchport trunk native vlan 999" is that when vlan 999 is sent over the trunk link, it is sent untagged.

If you use this command on one switch - you need to use it everywhere, otherwise you will have traffic leaking between VLAN's

What if switch A was sending traffic for VLAN 999 untagged, and switch B was doing so for VLAN 500? You would end up with VLAN 999 traffic reaching 500 and vice versa.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Dark-KnightDark-Knight Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I guess you're right.. After configuring "switchport native vlan 999", on "show run" it appeared as "switchport trunk native vlan 999"...