Failed CCENT (Again)

CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
This morning I failed in my third attempt at the CCENT exam. Had been prepping using NetSim10, Pearson Vue practise exams and CBT nuggets (Jeremy's set + the exam walk through set). Started out like a house of fire and was ahead of schedule by the time the first 10 were done (Using the tried and tested elimination method for the questions). Unfortunately I started to fall behind and with 5 minutes to go had around 11 questions left. Ended up with two questions unanswered as the clock ran out. Final score was a 722, which works out as:

Operation of Data Networks - 33%
LAN Switching Technologies - 55%
IP addressing IPv4 and IPv6 - 67%
IP Routing Technologies - 57%
IP Services - 75%
Network Device Security - 50%
Troubleshooting - 86%

Going to go back to the drawing board on this one, as I'm almost there. Will be re-booking this on payday.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Fourth time's a charm :D

I failed the CCNA three times before I saw 'congratulations' on that screen. Keep going!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My advice is to reread the book and take detailed notes. Don't worry so much about the practice questions right now, hit those towards the last day or two. Sometimes we get caught up in review questions, where you can answer a direct question about say RIP, but you still don't truly understand how RIP works.

Reread the book.
    Detailed notes.
    Watch videos after you read the book, and reviewed notes. When you heard the lectures, things will start to click.
    Run over review questions.

Keep at it!!!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I faced the CCENT for my first time today, and failed too. I used the Exam Cram CCENT book, and Cisco Press ICND1 100-101 book. Also used CCNA 2015 200-120 Video Boot Camp With Chris Bryant on Udemy I picked up. I'm not a fan of Cisco tests after sitting my first one. I don't like that you need to answer each question the first time you see it and that you can't use info you find later to answer/change your answers in previous questions. I too plan to retake this exam and wish you the best of luck in your next attempt!
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pearson Vue practise exams

In my experience (640-822 CCENT), the Pearson practice exams are worse than worthless. Boson ExSim-Max is a lot better. They have Multiple Choice, Drag and Drop, Simulations, etc...just like the real thing. If you can pass the practice exam, but fail the real thing, they'll (Boson) refund the cost of the practice exam.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you go through the book? I'm telling you, go through the book and look for those sections that were not covered in the videos. Can you tell us what you feel you are struggling at? Maybe we can help.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to learn to remain calm and focused. Know this stuff off the top of your head. Got 801 2 times in a row so I have a decent idea on how it works. Some questions I will agree are worded poorly on Cisco's part and some terminology they use was not in any Cisco book. Once you know these 3 key facts, you will pass:

1. Keep calm
    2. Stay focused
    3. Be fast and accurate!

Also, Cisco tests are not simple memorization like other vendors such as CompTIA (mostly memorization) You have to know what to look for and how to look for it. Best mentality is this, think of the actual exam as a practice exam. Most practice tests are around the price of the actual tests anyways. Also, treat your practice exams like the real thing. No backtracking and no looking back. Don't overanalyze and things should be better. This is an entry level cert after all and Cisco is highly respected in the industry so they are not going to be a cakewalk. Best of luck next time!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The videos were a good introduction but I would suggest reading another book to get the real information down. Whenever possible I like to read two different authors because sometimes they explain it a little different and one will make more sense then the other.

Good Luck!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Not sure what book you used, but I would HIGHLY recommend Todd Lammle's book. I hadn't touched or dealt with anything networking in like 9 years and I picked up his book and got through four chapters before deciding to pass on pursuing the CCENT for the time being, but he just explains everything so clear, and so well. I felt like I was reading a novel that interested me. It's that easy to read.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 on Lammles book.. You can use packet tracer and follow along too. Also checkout Jeremy C's videos on CBT nuggets if you haven't already.
  • siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    bradl3yC wrote: »
    +1 on Lammles book.. You can use packet tracer and follow along too. Also checkout Jeremy C's videos on CBT nuggets if you haven't already.

+2 on all of this, especially supplement your reading with Jeremy Cioara's CCNA course. And as always, practice your labs (Packet Tracer or GNS3).
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was about to come in here and mention it, but see that others have beat me to it...so ditto on Lammle study material. Its explained straightforward and in a manner to keep your attention. His labs are great and if you work with them, will help you a lot on the exam.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    I am using the following study method / material path for CCENT.Is this enough ?
    1.Packet Tracer : doing every lab as per the cisco syllabus.
    2.Using lammle book for subnetting and also using the cisco press book.
    3.Reading todd lammle with cisco press and ccent exam cram.
    4.Solving every question I can get on the internet.

How will I know I am ready to take the exams ?
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    satishtech wrote: »
    How will I know I am ready to take the exams ?

When you are comfortable with the topics not the questions. If you understand the material the questions will make sense because you understand what is happening.

Other then that all I can say is most don't feel ready until after the pass.

Good Luck!
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed ICND 1/CCENT this past week too. I finished with about 20 seconds left and felt pretty good. In the end, I was only pretty close - just a tad under 800. I'm going to retake it 3/11 or whenever I can get the best ROI. Good luck and never give up just like John Cena! Hah...
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown