Options

CCNA DC Harder Than R&S?

burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
Does it not make sense to pursue CCNA DC as a first networking cert? In my current role I consult a lot of clients who leverage UCS, which is why I am interested in this path... but with the lack of strong networking skills I am wondering if it would make more sense to go with R&S?

I guess I am having a hard time understanding the overlap... if my interest lies in UCS/DC I don't see why it wouldnt make sense to pursue that path instead, but the lack of a "CCENT" in this path is throwing me off.

I don't see the logic in going CCNA R&S, and then going CCNA DC...

Is 640-911 essentially 100-101, or is it more difficult?

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    You answered your own question, stop trying to shortcut because you will end up embarrassing yourself. If you are serious about being a competent engineer then you will have to learn the foundation and that is R&S. You don't have to become an Expert but having practical Professional level R&S skills would go a loooong way as you make your way down other tracks.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I think you are misinterpreting. I'm not trying to "shortcut" anything. From a monetary standpoint what would be the benefit of following the CCNA RS path if the 640-911 is basically the 100-101. If the interest was in UCS/Nexus why would you spend money to go through the CCNA RS to just essentially repeat one of the exams to get the CCNA DC?

Seeing as Cisco positions the CCNA DC as a path with no pre-req and ALONG SIDE RS and essentially focuses on networking fundamentals regardless i'm not sure how I am short cutting or attempting to embarrass myself?

From what I hear there is a ton of overlap, it's just a matter of which path interests you most, correct me if i'm wrong CCWKIA.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    burfect wrote: »
    I think you are misinterpreting. I'm not trying to "shortcut" anything. From a monetary standpoint what would be the benefit of following the CCNA RS path if the 640-911 is basically the 100-101. If the interest was in UCS/Nexus why would you spend money to go through the CCNA RS to just essentially repeat one of the exams to get the CCNA DC?

Seeing as Cisco positions the CCNA DC as a path with no pre-req and ALONG SIDE RS and essentially focuses on networking fundamentals regardless i'm not sure how I am short cutting or attempting to embarrass myself?

From what I hear there is a ton of overlap, it's just a matter of which path interests you most, correct me if i'm wrong CCWKIA.

These are the same eh? Interesting...

100-101

1.0 Operation of IP Data Networks

6%

Show Details

2.0 LAN Switching Technologies

21%

Show Details

3.0 IP addressing (IPv4/IPv6)

11%

Show Details

4.0 IP Routing Technologies

26%

Show Details

5.0 IP Services

8%

Show Details

6.0 Network Device Security

15%

Show Details

7.0 Troubleshooting

13%

Show Details

640-911

1.0 Describe How a Network Works

15%

Show Details

2.0 Configure, Verify and Troubleshoot a Switch with VLANs and Interswitch Communications Using Nexus

21%

Show Details

3.0 Implement an IP Addressing Scheme and IP Services to Meet Network Requirements in a Medium-Size Enterprise Branch Office Network Using Nexus

12%

Show Details

4.0 Configure, Verify, and Troubleshoot Basic Router Operation and Routing on Cisco Devices Using Nexus

52%

Show Details

Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?