Options

MIS to CIO

MISandLovinitMISandLovinit Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all!

I have been reading quite a few forums on here recently and there seems to be a lot of helpful and experienced individuals posting here. I have a question for you all, and I am sure I will receive many different opinions as answers, but as far as I'm concerned, the more, the better:D

So without further adieu, my situation:

I am going back to school for an MIS degree in the fall of 2015, I have 2 years left, so I will be graduating June 2017. It is just about March right now. My goal is to eventually become a CIO with my MIS degree.

So far, my career plan is:
Learn python and SQL right now, and over the next 2 years.
Volunteer at my colleges IT department learning how to be a network administrator for the next 2 years.
Get a network administrator job right out of school to gain more real world experience.
Transition to project management, picking up a PMP cert and Agile/ Scrum Master cert. PMP will take me a bit, but scrum master is easy and doesn't require too much. I love project management and the techniques Agile/ Scrum are based upon literally excite me because they are so efficient.
Attend a top 10 MBA program.

Now as you can see I have a lot of blanks to fill in. For example, what type of internship position should I try to get summer 2016?

I am a extremely business savvy person, Live and breathe it. In fact a started a NPO when I was 24 which is successful, 501c3 certified and I now serve on the board of directors in a project management and advising capacity. I love management and working with people, but I also love technology and understand it is the future.

I believe I have the management skills and with a PMP and MBA to back it up it should cover the business side of the CIO position. However I realize there is a lot of technical stuff to know so I am here to ask you guys for your opinion.

If you had to have an MIS degree, (please don't post saying you should have done this or you should have done that because lets be honest, some MIS degree holders become CIOs. It is a fact and I will become one of those) what hard skills would you spend 2 years learning to be able to diversify your technical knowledge before hitting the workforce?

Thank you all for your input an taking the time to read this, I appreciate your input very much!:D

Comments

• Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How old are you? Maybe you should go see your CIO and know his background...experience is the most important thing #1 so if you don't have 10-15 years experience then you're not close to being a CIO. My CIO is smart and knows a lot of technology and has an MBA I believe (but you can be a CIO with a BS or MIS...)

You don't have to be an expert at anything to be a CIO but you should be able to dabble in things. CIO is all about coming up with plans and implementing them, so you need some sort of understanding. Working with vendors, making deals, etc
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Powerpoint and Excel. Master those. In my experience, CIO is not that technical of a position.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You'd probably be best served concentrating on getting into management as soon as possible. The project management role probably won't help as much as trying to get people under you in a hurry.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Most CIO's of the Fortune 100's have MBA/Accounting backgrounds. Being a CIO at a large company is less about technology and more about managing the cost of technology (Capital, Operational, Licensing, Training, ect).
  • Options
    @hurricane
    I am 26 right now so I am definitely coming in late in the game, but better late than never.

This is definitely a 10-15 year plan as well, I would not think I am even eligible for CIO until I am in my forties but it is never too early to plan.

I just want to learn something technical so the people I work with don't think I am an idiot. Also, the more diversity in my knowledge the better I have heard.

Thanks for the response!

@ratbuddy
    So I wouldn't need to learn SQL? I read that CIOs should have a good understanding of databases.

@network and @Philz
    So your advice is focus on the management and budget side of things? It is only one extra semester to minor in either finance or accounting, both of which are not over my head. Maybe that would be a good idea?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Some folks hate it when they are corrected but I like helping people improve. The correct term you want is "ado" instead of "adieu". Another common mistake I see here all the time is "per say" instead of the correct "per se".
  • Options
    @ hurricane

I am 26, so definitely on the older side. But better late than never. This is a ten to fifteen year plan, never too early to start planning! I agree that making noticeable improvements in a company will help for sure. Plus I'm looking forward to gain planning and implementation experience as a project manager.
    Thanks for your response!

@ratbuddy
    So I shouldn't learn SQL? I heard that it will help me in the long run, or mostly that just learning the basics of everything will help me. Programming, networking, databases, analysis, project planning... Probably more stuff as well.
    Thanks for your response as well!

@networker and @philz
    So i should really focus on management and the budgeting side of things. It is only 1 extra semester to minor in accounting or finance, maybe that would be a good idea?
    Thanks for your responses guys!

@Cyberguy
    Duly noted, I will not make that mistake again. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    honestly, i would get into a role where you are interacting with many different C levels. Something customer facing. Maybe thats project management, maybe field or sales engineering. This would allow you to learn from them and the many different environments and network with other CIOs.
  • Options
    honestly, i would get into a role where you are interacting with many different C levels. Something customer facing. Maybe thats project management, maybe field or sales engineering. This would allow you to learn from them and the many different environments and network with other CIOs.

Anything I can spend time learning while I have the time at school?

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anything I can spend time learning while I have the time at school?

Thanks for the reply!

honestly if you learn anything learn security. Governance and compliance. Other than that, maybe get a foundation of networking and os knowledge. And keep current on technology. that will be most valuable. Follow tech blogs, groups on linkedin, podcasts etc.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Powerpoint and Excel. Master those. In my experience, CIO is not that technical of a position.

I read that it is good to learn SQL and know a bit about programming and networking. I know powerpoint pretty well but I have a lot to learn in excel for sure. I'll make it a priority to get better with excel.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    You'd probably be best served concentrating on getting into management as soon as possible. The project management role probably won't help as much as trying to get people under you in a hurry.

I agree, anything to work on in the meantime?

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Most CIO's of the Fortune 100's have MBA/Accounting backgrounds. Being a CIO at a large company is less about technology and more about managing the cost of technology (Capital, Operational, Licensing, Training, ect).

Noted. It is only an extra semester to gain a minor in accounting or finance, do you think that;s worth 't or just try and gain real world experience?

Thanks for your reply!
  • Options

Great advice, thank you!
  • Options
    honestly if you learn anything learn security. Governance and compliance. Other than that, maybe get a foundation of networking and os knowledge. And keep current on technology. that will be most valuable. Follow tech blogs, groups on linkedin, podcasts etc.

Great, thanks for the input Mr. Pimp!
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Noted. It is only an extra semester to gain a minor in accounting or finance, do you think that;s worth 't or just try and gain real world experience?

Thanks for your reply!

Let me put it this way. Without P&L, accounting (not finance), general management, and governance/lifecycle experience you will never be a CIO at a large org.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are asking how you most likely won't be.

You are chosen, not the other way around.
  • Options
    IT-FellaIT-Fella Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going to add that IT is not only about making money. You need to have a passion for technology and feel fulfilled when you accomplish some undertaking. By looking at your avatar I would assume that you're concerned mostly about the financial aspect of your dream title. If that's the goal then I guess there are much easier routes than progressing to a CIO role. I had conversations with a handful of CIOs from $50mil to $1B in revenue companies and they were pretty tech savvy individuals with a combination of IT, business degrees and certs.

Why would you want to become a CIO?
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    The best CIO's come from the business side. The best CTO's come from the tech side.

PS. I'm in Boston too OP, you should hit me up on LinkedIn!
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I can offer a bit of advice on this one.

ERP Implementations consultant.

There is no quicker way in learning about business, finance, IT , and other then a soldier in the war of ERP.

Go start of with something small, SAP business One, SysPro rocks in manufacturing,

Your SME market space is probably the only one you will penetrate

Your career paths look good,but again, if I may offer my humble opinion

The MIS degree is awesome, and at the top end of the scale, it is essential, you will not be offered that CIO position without it, but

Doing a degree like that without the underlying experience, means that while you may pass, even with distinction, you will not add value.

You cannot fully comprehend all of the terms, situations, ect without the underlying experience, you need to be sitting in class, listening to your lecturer, nd be able to recall a past event on a project and go "ahah".

Else, all that you are doing is illustrating that you can be a parrot.

I would change something and your going to think I am odd.

First thing, before you do anything, go run a course on basic financial accounting, or book keeping. nothing hectic, do not become an accountant, but understand what the double entry system is, what an income statement and a balance sheet is.

One of those quick 1 or 2 week jobbies, you cannot implement what you do not understand.

Once done, go get entry level certified in one of the ERP systems available to you. and become an entry level consultant.

I repeat, the best to understand business, processes ect, is to implement it on a piece of software.

On the project management side, Price2 seems to be the IT related.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @op - one thing to consider is that not all CIO roles are the same. A CIO at a division at a Fortune 500 organization or an Enterprise CIO within the same company can vary. And in smaller companies and different industries, the CIO role's span of responsibility may vary quite differently. Usually when I see such a post, I often wonder about the motivational factors. It's great to see someone wanting to aspire to such a leadership role. Those are roles that are not easily attainable and not everyone can or want to have that type of job.

If you are truly interested - I would suggest getting into some sort of leadership role first - to see if you even like it. Have you talked with your existing management about some leadership roles like team-leader, the next steps? It's less important whether you are a network engineer, project manager, etc. than to actually get some leadership and management experience if you aspire to be a CIO. As many people have pointed out, being a CIO is a business role and less a technical role.

Good luck in your journey.

@polynomial - that's a great distinction that you made.
  • Options
    IT-Fella wrote: »
    I'm going to add that IT is not only about making money. You need to have a passion for technology and feel fulfilled when you accomplish some undertaking. By looking at your avatar I would assume that you're concerned mostly about the financial aspect of your dream title. If that's the goal then I guess there are much easier routes than progressing to a CIO role. I had conversations with a handful of CIOs from $50mil to $1B in revenue companies and they were pretty tech savvy individuals with a combination of IT, business degrees and certs.

Why would you want to become a CIO?

Hello Fella, I appreciate your response! I actually love IT and high technology, and I'm not concerned about the money. I just believe that if you aim to be at the top in your chosen career path and try really hard to be the best, than whether your at the top or near the top won't matter. You will still be able to provide for your family, enjoy your life and what you do. It would be great to be CIO though, I'd like it mostly because of the diversity in departments and projects that I would organize and oversee. There would never be a dull moment.

As for my avatar, I just thought it was a funny picture I came across.
  • Options
    Polynomial wrote: »
    The best CIO's come from the business side. The best CTO's come from the tech side.

PS. I'm in Boston too OP, you should hit me up on LinkedIn!

Yes, business is my main focus, but I love technology as well. Thanks for the LinkedIn, invite I'll add you now.

Thanks for the response!
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    @op - one thing to consider is that not all CIO roles are the same. A CIO at a division at a Fortune 500 organization or an Enterprise CIO within the same company can vary. And in smaller companies and different industries, the CIO role's span of responsibility may vary quite differently. Usually when I see such a post, I often wonder about the motivational factors. It's great to see someone wanting to aspire to such a leadership role. Those are roles that are not easily attainable and not everyone can or want to have that type of job.

If you are truly interested - I would suggest getting into some sort of leadership role first - to see if you even like it. Have you talked with your existing management about some leadership roles like team-leader, the next steps? It's less important whether you are a network engineer, project manager, etc. than to actually get some leadership and management experience if you aspire to be a CIO. As many people have pointed out, being a CIO is a business role and less a technical role.

Good luck in your journey.

@polynomial - that's a great distinction that you made.

Hey Paul, I realized that the CIO position would most likely vary substantially by industry. I am hoping to work for a software company like Microsoft using agile/ scrum methodology or network company like Level3 in a database/ project management capacity, maybe in a network infrastructure department that improves company networks with hardware through long projects. I have had and continue to have management roles, and I enjoy them very much. I enjoy teaching, and I realize the leadership roles are more about staying organized and focused while encouraging employees to achieve their highest potential. I have had some very terrible bosses over the years, mostly disorganized but also emotional. I think that managing my start up company helped me to see how much but things can operate when people feel supported and empowered. Everybody feels good and work gets done! It is the best and that combined with project planning, budgeting, negotiating, and enjoying c level perks all sound great to me.

Thanks for your reply, Best wishes!