Best Tone Kit?

nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I was just curious what you guys use for a probe/tone kit?

I've tried A BUNCH by Greenlee, Fluke, etc, and can't find a really good one.

I need something for identifying ports on the switch/panel side. So, if I have a user at their desk with an issue on their PoE VoIP phone, I'm trying to identify where the port is on the switch side. When I try to tone, I get nothing. With the same equipment, if I'm trying to identify a port not patched to a switch, the tone is loud and clear.

Any ideas?

Comments

• HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have always used the Fluke IntelliTone. I would consider it 90% accurate. I have used the Greenlee, Fox and Hound and Black Box ones. I also use the Trendnet wire mapper. These are the goto tools in my bag for the past few years. I don't think there is anything really better out there. Always keep a fresh 9volt with you. When they probe is acting up its always because of a weak battery.

IntelliTone Pro 200 LAN Toner and Network Probe - Cable Network Toner Probe Testing | Fluke Networks
    http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Network-Cable-Tester-TC-NT2/dp/B0000AZK08
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I don't know that there is a best, if they are broadcasting a tone, you should be able to receive that tone on the circuit you are testing, most of us use Fluke systems in the area I am located in. I have to agree with Honda, if you are not getting a tone, you have a battery problem.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So your plugging the toner into the phone side and going into the switch room? Switches can cause interference with tone generators.
    The tone generator Hondabuff suggested is definitly one of the higher end ones that should work even if it is plugged into a switch.

IntelliTone™ Pro 200 LAN Toner and Probe
    • Ends cable location confusion, decisively rejects noise and false signals
    • Locates cables on active networks, even when terminated at a switch
    The cheaper Pro3000™ Analog Tone fluke makes is designed for only non-active networks
    • Tone and trace wire on non-active networks
    which is why your having issues with those kind of toners
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've always gone the cheap route and used a standard toner and a breakout. Amazon.com: Greenlee Communications 1902 RJ45 Modular Adapter, 8 Way: Home Improvement

Just connect the toner on pins 7 and 8 and you should be able to detect it on active cables.
  • red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fluke. And always carry extra batteries.