[Needs Career Advice] To Resign w/o first securing a job or To resign when ..........

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I would like to ask some career advice especially to those people who have a lot of experienced in the Networking industry. First, I would give a little background of myself.
  • I'm a graduate of Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE, Yes, electronics and communications joined together in one degree)
  • After graduating in 2013, I passed my CCNA(old). I also took a licensure exam for ECE but unfortunately failed
  • In 2014, I have a job as a Software Tester in a MNC, I have a contract there for a year, and in one month the contract will end
  • I don't like Software Testing its too boring for me (this is just a personal preference)
Now, as my contract nearing its end. I would like to continue my career in networking but I'm confused if It will be wise to resign to my company right after my contract ends without a job after that or it would be wiser to look for a networking job before my contract ends to secure a job?

I'm leaning on the decision to resign as my contract ends and while I'm looking for a networking job I will use all of my free time studying in depth networking. I'm thinking of doing that because I can't study much while I'm currently working here in my current company as a software tester as the job itself demands a lot of time.

Also, would that 1 year experience in software testing have a weight when applying for a networking job? I know both field are different but having already experienced what is like to work in a big company counts?

Comments

• anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You SHOULD NOT re-sign. Once the contract ends you can collect UNEMPLOYMENT; however, you should start looking for a new job ASAP. Your job experience doesn't apply to Networking. You do have a CCNA which should be good enough to get you a Network Administrator or NOC position.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never quit a job until you find another. You really don't know if you'll be unemployed a month, or a year. The market is improving, but for example, I'm experienced in IT of about 9 years, and it took me 6 months of interviewing and searching while working a contract to find a job that I wanted and got. I had several that I thought I had during that time, but none panned out. It makes you look more valuable if you find a job while you have one as you don't come off as desperate. And you don't know if your contract may be extended or not. Of course, I would start looking for a new job that you'd enjoy yesterday, so do that. Keep working until they say it's over and worst case you'll get unemployment. Best case you continue working until you find something more in line with your career goals. You're still pretty green in the world of IT, so stick with it but keep looking for something better.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It has been my experience that a company will usually choose to make an offer to someone who is working over someone that is unemployed.

I have also discussed a few situations with friends where the company was unwilling to negotiate with the unemployed candidate. Basically giving them a take it or leave it offer. I don't know if they do it on purpose or not but it's human nature to detect vulnerability and unfortunately sometimes exploit it.

If you know you are moving on I would prepare for it now. In the end it's your life so do what's best for your family but don't let excuses get in the way.

Good Luck!
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Since you don't have much experience I would say hang in there. Seems like it's always easier to find a job if you already have a job.
    You may or may not qualify for unemployment. You definitely can't get unemployment if you quit.
    Don't know where you are at but most states skip the previous 3 quarters (9 months) of employment and then base your unemployment benefits on how much money you made the previous 3 quarters before the last 9 months.
    Depending on where you live, You shouldn't have any problem finding a network job if you have CCNA.
    Good luck.
  • robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't add much to what has already been said, though I won't personally discriminate against someone who has been out of employment for a little while but used their time wisely.

I've only ever handed in notice before the ink was dry once, and I knew I had about 45 days worth of ad-hoc consultancy from 3 different clients I could call on to see me through and I was pretty sure that if the role I was gambling on fell through, I'd find another one in less than 2 months. As it happened, the gamble paid off and the contracts were signed next day. I don't advise trying this without a decent warchest/savings, a backup option or a significant life gambling problem.
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi anhtran35, MeanDrunkR2D2, Jon_Cisco, mjsinhsvm and robS,

I appreciate your feedbacks, I'll note everything you all have said :) but let me throw you guys another scenario, just wanna know your thoughts about this. Let's say I leave my current company, and while unemployed I study for a certification(hmmm. Ex. CCNA-Voice) and able to pass it. Would that change your advice to me? and while still unemployed at that time, I would again study and be able to pass a certification...
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I have passed all my certifications while working full time. I graduated from George Mason University with a BS degree while working full time. Sounds like you need to work on your time management skills.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CaptainL wrote: »
    Hi anhtran35, MeanDrunkR2D2, Jon_Cisco, mjsinhsvm and robS,

I appreciate your feedbacks, I'll note everything you all have said :) but let me throw you guys another scenario, just wanna know your thoughts about this. Let's say I leave my current company, and while unemployed I study for a certification(hmmm. Ex. CCNA-Voice) and able to pass it. Would that change your advice to me? and while still unemployed at that time, I would again study and be able to pass a certification...

You could become certified in Pimpin' ain't easy and I'd still recommend staying with the job. If you really want that certification, I would work on that while you are still working with this company as many of us are able to work and get certs at the same time. I feel like you have already made up your mind, but are a bit hesistant to make that jump and just let go and see what happens. If you can afford to be unemployed for months at a time, and then have to explain to a potential employer why you decided to quit just to get a certification that most will get while they still work could be a big negative to them. They'll see it more as you may quit on them if things get tough or hard and most employers don't want a quitter. Now, if you were to maybe go back and get an advanced degree that may be palatable to employers. I'll just re-iterate, I would not quit until I found another job, or the contract ended and I was out of a job. And if you do quit on this contract, your current employer may blacklist you and it would be a risk to take. You never know when they may come up with your dream job down the line. They will understand if you happen to find something while working for them and give them proper notice as that does happen. But if you were to just say "i'm done, and I have no job lined up" it won't look good.

Tough it out, but in the meantime job search as if that's your second job (Or first job, which is at a different time than your current job). Most of us have had those jobs when we started that felt like getting nut-punched day in and day out and we hated it and wanted to quit. We didn't. We stuck it out until we found something more in line with what our career goals were.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I just quit my 26+ month consultant Job as a VMware / Image / desktop engineer without having a job lined up. They bumped me from 81k/yr salary to 95-115k/yr on hourly w-2 right before I left. Still, the stress and living 12 hours away from my girlfriend of 5+ years was the deciding factor.

Secondly, I'm moving from Phoenix (a good affordable place) to San Francisco and then Mountain View because I want to challenge myself further. And my gf landed a job at Google!!! Yeah man, retirement!!! lol jk. Hell man, I'm quite a bit nervous, but deep down inside I know I can succeed and find a better job. Deep down inside I know I can and will do better. Its time to leave and grow more.

So here is my advice...ideally find a job while you have a job. If not, plan on how you will quit your job without a job. Specifically save some money or knock up a finance lady with a nice 401k / IRA plan. icon_cheers.gif
    Fortune favors the bold.
  • CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi anthran35 and MeanDrunkR2D2,

Thanks for sharing again some of your precious time to answer my query. I now have a more understanding with these kind of situations. :)

@GreaterNinja
    "but deep down inside I know I can succeed and find a better job. Deep down inside I know I can and will do better. Its time to leave and grow more"
    -
    I kinda relate to this feeling. lol congrats to your girlfriend for landing a job at google ;)

"Still, the stress and living 12 hours away from my girlfriend of 5+ years was the deciding factor."

-We have a similar situation but in my case, I have almost only 20hrs per week(weekends) to be with my girlfriend -___-