Best Online Labs for Microsoft Certs?

DribbleCastleDribbleCastle Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm returning to the Microsoft world to complete my 2008 MCSA. Never got around to finishing the final exam I needed which is the 70-646. I'm currently watching some CBT Nuggets Videos and I have a MS book, however, I want to do some labs and I don't really feel like setting up a ton of VM's on my Mac this time around.

Does anyone have any services (free or paid) that provide a really good lab experience that helped them with MS cert exams? The only one I've been investigating is the package on MeasureUp for $149. I've used their practice exams in the past and thought they were pretty good but have no clue what their lab experience is like.

Also, I'm looking more for a lab and manual (steps to complete in the lab) service. Basically more than just a view online VM's to play around with. I need some direction.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Microsoft provides this, free of charge:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx

While the instructions outline various tasks to accomplish in each lab - each session is actually completely open and you can do whatever you want in them for the most part.

I used that link for the first two exams i took, mid last year they changed their provider and the lab experience has been horrible since (IMO). So i just went through and installed vmware player (free again) and downloaded the ISOs for the server OS i was studying for (again free for 30 days).
  • DribbleCastleDribbleCastle Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lex,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to poke around with a few and see how they are. I saw you took the 60-646 yourself. How would you compare that exam to the 640 and 642? Sounds like it has case studies and matching list questions. Don't remember the case study questions 640/642.

Congratulations on your MCSA. I know MS exams are a pain.
  • LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Thanks man. Ya the virtual labs suck for user experience, since they revamped the site mine would always crash and timeout. I would highly recommend doing your own lab. You will spend less hours banging your head against the wall waiting for things to load and you will get a ton of practice reinstalling the OS and setting the domain up as you want it setup.

I would say because of the broadness of the 646 it was a bit more difficult because it encompassed things learned in the 640 and 642. Also some of the questions were a bit obscure in my opinion - but that's Microsoft for you.
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Measure Up has some pretty good labs. Or you could roll your own with virtual box and some free trials of the software.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • DribbleCastleDribbleCastle Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Again, thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I have everything I need to do my own lab, just need to spend some time getting things setup. Thats the way I used to do it back in 2010-2012 and my MacBook Pro today is definitely a lot more powerful. All I really have to do is think about all the other ways I could spend the $150. That makes it even easier to decide.
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Also.. you could do some searches on YouTube or invest in an account from Plural sight or CBT Nuggets.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security