Passed SSCP yesterday, Sec+ next: What are best resources?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Yesterday I passed SSCP on first attempt and already started reading AIO Security+ book. Please share your advice and what books/practice exams, etc are good resources?

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Darill Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead Security+ book is a great resource when I studied for the exam.

CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-401 Study Guide: Darril Gibson: 9781939136022: Amazon.com: Books

Congratulations on the pass! What did you use for the SSCP? I plan on taking it soon.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you just passed SSCP, I would recommend the Sybex Security+ Review Guide. It's not as comprehensive as the Study Guide but most of the material should be in your head already from the overlap of SSCP with Security+.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks guys for the feedback; reading through other posts seems most recommend Darril and Sybex for Sec+ (I always like Sybex books, very precise and well-written).
  • MDCaseyMDCasey Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also find and take every practice exam you can. I've found that to be invaluable, which I'm sure you already know having been through other certs. My biggest quibble with a lot of what's out there is that they call themselves "practice exams" but they're only 10 questions long, or maybe 50, which is better but isn't like the arduous process of taking the real thing. For paid tests, I would go through the CompTIA resources directory to make sure you get your money's worth. For free tests, you can basically tell by the site whether it's going to be quality, but once you find a few it's very helpful to keep them on speed dial as you ramp up to test time.

Skillset and GoCertify are my go-to recommendations, for obvious reasons once you explore them. Googling around also turns up some blogs and independent consultant-types who actually host very high quality practice question lists as well, but usually only in the limited fashion I mentioned.