Options

Useful trick for Outlook blocking attachments

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
So today I had a issue with Outlook blocking email attachments and I had to make the change on a Terminal Server for 25 users.

Basically go into registry @ 'regedit' (run as admin, if you search for it)

Then navigate to this location depending upon your flavor of Office:

Verify that the following registry key for your version of Outlook exists.
Microsoft Office Outlook 2010HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Security

Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

Microsoft Outlook 2002HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security

Microsoft Outlook 2000HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security

Then just make a String key and call it 'Level1Remove' and click ok.

Then right click it and press modify and say you need to unblock a .url or a .exe you enter those in separated by a semicolin and no space like this : '.url;.exe' and press enter.

Restart Outlook if it's still open and whalla now you can open previous blocked attachments that Outlook automatically blocks by default.

We employ a twin Sonicwall Gateway barrier with different levels of border protection, so I'm not really worried about attachment having viruses since the Sonciwall's block them plus Kaspersky is awesome for client-based IPS with heuristic detection. - with this being said if you don't have solid network security use this registry change with caution.

Hope this helps someone. icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    You could also just right click on the file and click on send to compressed folder. Outlook blocks files based on extensions so you could put executables in zip files and Outlook wouldn't block them.
  • Options
    pevangel wrote: »
    You could also just right click on the file and click on send to compressed folder. Outlook blocks files based on extensions so you could put executables in zip files and Outlook wouldn't block them.

Indeed, we were catering to a customer that get this didn't know how to use zip, so we made the attachment of the files as simple as could be utterly possible. click, open, extract, done (even the destination folder was preset) Basically a WinRAR SFX .exe. :)

We offered our FTP but they didn't know what that was....
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I'm so glad our customer interaction is with the IT staff of other companies. They bring a different set of challenges, but it's still better than dealing with non-technical users.
  • Options
    pevangel wrote: »
    I'm so glad our customer interaction is with the IT staff of other companies. They bring a different set of challenges, but it's still better than dealing with non-technical users.

I concur. This sole customer doesn't have a IT department ironically.