1751v router help

nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
so i finally purchased a lab, all great right? except for one router when i try to connect to the console, it does nothing(cant type and no text) all the others work fine.
tried all the speed settings with default everything else and the default speed setting with a bunch of different settings
ive looked for a couple hours now and cant find a way to reset without connecting to it, any ideas?
To Script or not to Script, that is the question.

MSCA [ ] 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412
CCNA [X] 100-101 [ ] 200-101

Comments

• MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Are you seeing the initialization screen in your terminal software when you start it up?
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • nickalexkriernickalexkrier Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the terminal emulator screen pops up in its own window but never shows text. it is also unresponsive to anything i type on the keyboard
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try the AUX port (just beneath the Console port).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
    Do you hear any fans running? If you are not getting anything on the terminal screen and you don't hear the fan(s) I would suspect a failed piece of equipment. I would try another power adapter to make sure you didn't get a bad adapter.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    aux is the same. ethernet interface allows me to type just no response
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well the fan is pretty quiet on the 1751. it is better check for the green lights. check the lights on the front (opposite side from the console port). there is also the green light for the ethernet port on the back. check that the cord into the power adapter is in good. then that the power adapter is in good to the router and that the switch is in the on position.
    device has power, and turns on. swapped powersupply and wic cards with no change in behavior
    You have a bad router.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    Have you tried getting into rommon? If yes, then the console port may be dead.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RMA icon_twisted.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    lame...

It happens...

By the way are you using 2 different names to post under? I am curious, as there are 2 names talking about the same subject.
  • nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    uh yeah. i guess i already made one of these

nikalis wrote: »
    uh yeah. i guess i already made one of these

Why?........
    it seemed like a good idea back in april, and then it seemed like a good idea again yesterday.

got it working though! console port wasnt allowing the serial to rj-45 to click in very nicely, i have a couple so i broke the top snap part off one threw it in and it worked

nikalis wrote: »
    got it working though! console port wasnt allowing the serial to rj-45 to click in very nicely, i have a couple so i broke the top snap part off one threw it in and it worked

Glad you got it working.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of those things you never get to experience if you go all GNS3 to lab in. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hahaha...troubleshooting 101 - break the clip!

i'm glad you got it working too. i really hate returning stuff.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    One of those things you never get to experience if you go all GNS3 to lab in. :)

Nope, you never get to experience it and also you never figure out how to fix it! :D