Options

Need Advice - Fresh College Graduate

rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
My current situation is that I just finished my BS in Technology Management. I'm not looking for a career in management, but I wanted to get my bachelors in a computer science field. My degree is from Eastern Michigan University.

I currently have a few certifications because I was told it would help me out. It seems to be a catch 22 because I don't have much client/server experience. I worked for a local computer repair store for nearly three years doing computer repair, virus removal ect. I also worked part time for a year at my local school district when they had a bond pass. They added all new computers, added smart boards, projectors, among other technology. I helped train teachers on the new equipment and did some imaging with Norton ghost, installed network printers and other various task. I never master any task so I find it hard to say I have solid experience in the client/server environment. I also did some tickets towards the end but the work involved going to school to solve the issue, no remote support. This was also a Novell/DeepFreeze environment so I never got to work with Active Directory. The one thing I did learn, is that if I don't know how to do it---then Google it! -- I know I lack confidence but once i get in the grove of things I become quite confident and my work ethic is very good. It sometimes is hard to communicate that in a interview (when I happen to get one).

I'm finding it hard to get my foot into the door to make it to the next level. I have submitted my resume to several websites and applied for several jobs. I'm willing to relocate anywhere if the pay and the experience is worth it. I also partner with a company who does contracts. My current living location is a hour to a hour and a half from the major job locations. A lot of the low end entry level positions are offering wages around $13.00 a hour, which makes the drive or moving hard. I also have a bit of a hard time searching for the right "job title" because so many terms are used and some have a wide range of requirements from job to job.

My ideal company would be a place where there is room to grow. I rather work my way up, so that I can understand IT from many perspectives because I try to approach life that way. As for the end job title, I am unsure. I just want to work in the field and really understand what is involved with the vast amount of work out there.

As I continue to look for work I find myself wanting to study. After taking a few certifications I found that just reading the book and retaining the information is hard. I do have access to some equipment to set up labs, but I don't know if that would even really be of use to me at this point. I really don't feel like earning another certification will get me anywhere further at this time. I think for a fresh college graduate I have a good amount of experience, just not in a AD/MS environment.

Anyone who took the time to read my short history and concerns, thank you. I would greatly appreciate any advice or wisdom on any topic that was brought up.

P.S. I mentioned/worded a few things that I would never do in a interview. However, here I just wanted to be open and honest to get the best advice.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With your certifications you should be able to get a Helpdesk position for sure. Look into those positions, Helpdesk Analyst, Support etc etc. Once you have this position, your cerifications will be reinforced and you will be able to make a transition to a higher level position in the future. But for now look for those entry positions. Not everyone starts in the middle or high. Put your resume on as many sites you can. Update your LinkedIn profile and connect with people you know, through them find recruiters that will help you.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I agree with TheFORCE. Keep looking for a Helpdesk or Desktop Support position. Your certifications put you in a very good place as an entry level candidate. After you gain some experience, you can focus on pursuing different certifications relevant to your interest. Good luck to you.

Consider creating a Linkedin and networking with other IT pros in your area.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    If you need AD experience, you can create a virtual lab and use Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 for 120 days. There are videos on youtube by Chris Davis and Eli the Computer Guy that can tutor you. Along with purchasing a book. Hands on is the best way for Windows Products. In regards to your job oppt, its is extremely difficult to locate a job in an area that is not IT abundant. I was forced to relocate living in my car for a few months while looking for a job. I'm not saying you follow my example but sometimes when things get desperate you go for it.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Build some labs and get exposure. I think a lot of it comes more from having confidence and how you sell yourself. I know labs help me gain alot of confidence and made interviewing a heck of a lot easier.
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, put your degree and college to work by working with the careers department. Network with other grads and if they have a career site that will be beneficial as well.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I sent you a PM about a position in Holland Michigan.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I greatly appreciate all the feedback so far.

One thing I have ran into recently in applying for jobs are ones that require you to put previous salary amount. My last job paid me $7.40 a hour and three years later I was making $8.00 a hour. That no where near reflects my growth, but it was a Ma and Pa shop that didn't pay their employees well. I stuck it out to gain experience; however, in a interview setting I don't see them bringing it up. I feel like that my wage makes something like $13.00 a hour a dream to me, which if local it wouldn't be too bad.

I don't doubt that employers will use the low wage to low ball me. I guess to ease my mind, is it common? Any tips to avoid it or should I try not to think about it.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A degree, a few entry level certs and experience are a great start but don't get comfortable. What are you working on right now to improve your skills? If you want to earn more you need to start developing skills beyond helpdesk/desktop support.

Never reveal your previous/current salary. I usually put confidential because it's none of their business and I signed a nondisclosure agreement. You should ask about the budgeted salary range for the position BEFORE you go into the interview and waste everyone's time.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I have LIED to recruiters about my salary. Example:

Recruiter: What is your current salary?
    Me: I'm making 80k( actually I was making 70k ).
    Hiring Manager: We can offer you 85k.

Keep negotiating till they give you a FINAL offer.