Router on a Stick (Easy Question?)

daniel280187daniel280187 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am starting my journey to take the CCNA exam in June and I came across with one scenario that I can't figure out.

I don't know what "IP Default-Gateway" to Use to manage my Switch, since within my router 4 different Vlans are defined and consequently 4 different Gateways. I want my switch to be reachable for all the Pcs (Each in a different VLAN)

Can you please tell me what is the solution and the explanation of this problem.

I really appreciate your help, Thanks a lot!!!
Daniel!

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Any of them will technically work. Which one you want to use depends on your design and how you plan on managing the switches.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Your router needs to be configured with access to Vlan 1, the 192.168.1.0/24 network. I suggest you create another subinterface on the router for your switch management vlan, put the SVI on the switch on that VLAN with the default gateway set to the router's IP on that subnet.
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Syntax_ninja*Syntax_ninja* Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommend creating a management vlan for management purposes. Since you're implementing the "Router-On-A-Stick" topology you don't need to set the IP default-gateway, unless you need to manage the switch from networks not directly connected. If you do the command, "show ip route" you will see all the sub-interfaces are directly connected.
  • daniel280187daniel280187 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your answers I have read them all, even the articles from ninjaturtle and I really appreciate the information.

I followed your advice on creating a VLAN for management (VLAN 50) but I was still unable to ping from the different Vlans to my Switch's Management IP 192.168.5.10

What I did then was to change my switch's IP to Inteface VLAN 50 and then I was able to ping and manage my switch from any VLAN. I think it has something to do with the Native VLAN but to be honest I am not aware of the reasoning behind this, just tried and worked as I need it.

Could you please explain me why was not working when I set up my Switch's IP in Interface VLAN 1 and is now working with Interface VLAN 50?

This is the image of my current configuration

Thanks for your comments.