Issues installing vmware tools from vSphere

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
We just upgraded from vSphere 5.5.0

I'm having to upgrade vmware tools for all of the current RHEL 5/6 servers and currently can't do this from our RH Satellite, so I'm doing this from vSphere by right clicking on the VM > Guest > Install/Upgrade VMWare Tools.

One of the issues that we are having is that when installing vmware tools, the install scripts wants to point to ldd, however if I point it to /usr/bin/ldd, it tells me this isn't correct and I can't finish the install.

I did find this KB from VMWare:

VMware KB: VMware Tools installation fails to start the guest operating system daemon on 64-bit Linux Guest Operating Systems with the 32-bit glibc-common package installed

However, if I check for /lib64/libdnet.so.1, it isn't there and I'm not sure to go about creating this or getting ahold of this file to softlink it back to /usr/lib/vmware-tools/lib64/libdnet.so.1/libdnet.so.1

Also there have been cases where I was successful in installing/upgrading vmware tools and once I reboot, it hangs when trying to start the daemon/service for vmware tools.

If I do a fresh RHEL install, the install of vmware tools goes ok. I haven't had to do an upgrade yet, however later this week, I will find out.

So I'm wondering what others are doing to get around these issues.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    Virtual machine version?
    (Probably doesn't matter, just curious)

Using the web interface at all?
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    The guest is RHEL v5.10 64-bit.

I'm using the vSphere client, not the web interface for right now. These are the steps that I'm taking.

- Right click on VM > Guest > Install/Upgrade VMWare Tools

- From the guest: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom > copy down the tar.gz file to /tmp > gunzip and then tar -xvf > go into new directory and run as root: ./vmware-install.pl
    [root@machine vmware-tools-distrib]# whereis ldd
    ldd: /usr/bin/ldd /usr/share/man/man1/ldd.1.gz

It gets hung up on looking for ldd file which is under /usr/bin/ldd, which is print shared library dependencies.

The odd thing is that I can't get any metadata on the ldd with either yum or rpm.

[root@machine vmware-tools-distrib]# yum list ldd
    Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
    There was an error communicating with RHN.
    RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled.
    Error Message:
        Satellite Certificate has expired
    Error Class Code: 3006
    Error Class Info: Invalid satellite certificate
    Explanation:
         An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
         persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
         If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
         details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
         details on how to reproduce this problem.
    Error: No matching Packages to list

[root@machine vmware-tools-distrib]# yum list ldd
    Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
    There was an error communicating with RHN.
    RHN Satellite or RHN Classic support will be disabled.
    Error Message:
        Satellite Certificate has expired
    Error Class Code: 3006
    Error Class Info: Invalid satellite certificate
    Explanation:
         An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
         persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
         If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
         details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
         details on how to reproduce this problem.
    Error: No matching Packages to list

[root@machine vmware-tools-distrib]# rpm -qa | grep ldd

[root@machine vmware-tools-distrib]#

Setup is unable to find the "ldd" program on your machine.  Please make sure it is installed.  Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?  
    [yes]

The answer "/usr/bin/ldd" is invalid.  It must be one of "y" or "n". 

What is the location of the "ldd" program on your machine? /usr/bin/ldd

The answer "/usr/bin/ldd" is invalid.  It must be the complete name of a binary file. 

If I say No
    Setup is unable to find the "ldd" program on your machine.  Please make sure it is installed.  Do you want to specify the location of this program by hand?  [yes] no

Unable to continue 

Execution aborted

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
    jibbajabba wrote: »

That is another front that I'm fighting on.

I'm trying to upgrade our disconnected RH Satellite and having issues with the base isos, and getting some sort of weird .xml error and had to escalate to RH Support.

Once I get that fixed, I can try that, however right now I was trying to use vSphere to upgrade.

-unknown
    Ok, not a RHEL/VMWare/VMWare Tools issue.

It is actually a STIG issue, where /usr/bin/ldd has permission of: rwx r-x r-x .
    After we apply the STIG, the permisison become r-- r-- r-- .

Because of that, VMWare Tools won't install or if we point it to /usr/bin/ldd, it won't work and if we install and then change the permission back to the STIG version, RHEL won't boot correctly.

I will have to do research if we can have an exception to this policy.

-unknown