Opinoins Needed for CISSP Testing Timeframe

rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while, and now making m first post. Looking for opinions on testing timeframe given my current scenario. I was scheduled to take a reputable CISSP class next week, but that has been cancelled and moved to mid-May. My plan had been to take the test before April 15th, with self study and the class as aids. Since my org is paying for the class, should I wait it out until May, or suck it up, keep self studying and take the test before April 15.

The wrinkle in this is that my position is DoD 8570 compliant and I need the cert in the June/July timeframe to remain employed. If I were to wait and take the test in the June timeframe, I would not be leaving myself a long period of time for a retest if I were to fail on the first try.
Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    We can't tell you if you are ready from a single post outlining what your options are.
    Really depends on how prepared you think you are to take the test .

    If you are consistently scoring 80% on the test prep engines and you have experieince , you may be ready to take it now.

    I studied for several months and then made the appt. a month out to give myself a deadline.
    After the appt was scheduled , I studied even harder to the point where it was all review.
    I paid pearson vue 50 bucks to change my test date and moved it up two weeks because I felt I was ready.

    If you feel like you need the training class to pass then you might want to wait.
    If you think you are ready now and you have 6 hours plus $600 bucks to blow then go for it.
    If nothing else, it will be a test run ...so to speak.

    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 911 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure what you're background of studying for the CISSP has been or how comfortable you are now, but with what you said, I would take the test in April, and if you were to fail, you have to wait 30 days to retake. This would put it around the mid-May timeframe, right in line with your CISSP class.

    If my job were dependent on it, I would rather have two attempts than one.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Spin LockSpin Lock Member Posts: 142
    I couldn't tell from your post if taking the exam in June gives you enough time for a 2nd try. If it doesn't, then you should definitely take the exam in April.

    But even if a June exam date gives you time for a retest, I'd still take the exam in April for multiple reasons:
    1. Your job depends on passing this exam, so I'd go with the schedule that gives me 3 tries rather than 2.
    2. Who knows, maybe you'll pass in April - and what a relief that would be. Get this monkey off your back now rather than worrying if you'll pass or not all the way into May.
    3. The consensus opinion of this form is that no practice exam prepares you for the real thing. So even if you are not ready, take the exam in April so you get an accurate feel for what you are up against. Yes, this will cost you $600, but if your job is on the line, it's worth it
  • rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone so far and my apologies if I was a little vague.

    I definitely don't feel ready to take the test yet, but like most have said, you are never 100% ready. I think I will look into an April test, it definitely gives me the most time.

    Thanks again for the responses so far.
  • beadsbeads Senior Member Member Posts: 1,511 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @rebelution;

    At the bare minimum look at the puzzle this way. One week per domain even the easy ones like physical and Legal - that comes to 10 weeks. Spend the last week reviewing what you have and have not learned over the past 2.5 months. When your consistently scoring at least 80 on a new, unseen test. You are ready to take the exam.

    People have passed this exam this way for 20 years now.

    - b/eads
  • rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    @rebelution;

    At the bare minimum look at the puzzle this way. One week per domain even the easy ones like physical and Legal - that comes to 10 weeks. Spend the last week reviewing what you have and have not learned over the past 2.5 months. When your consistently scoring at least 80 on a new, unseen test. You are ready to take the exam.

    People have passed this exam this way for 20 years now.

    - b/eads

    Appreciate that advice. I will see if I can maybe make that happen.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    In working for the DoD, see if your supervisors can give you some time off or send you to a quick boot camp. My classmates who failed will be taking the exam on the 13 and 14. If your taking it after the 15th of this month, I would still push for it before the expiration. Since you have until the Jun time frame, you can always take it again. Do not just sit idol. That's how some of my peers failed. I compressed my studying in two weeks and passed (i'm a nerd).
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GForce75 wrote: »
    In working for the DoD, see if your supervisors can give you some time off or send you to a quick boot camp. My classmates who failed will be taking the exam on the 13 and 14. If your taking it after the 15th of this month, I would still push for it before the expiration. Since you have until the Jun time frame, you can always take it again. Do not just sit idol. That's how some of my peers failed. I compressed my studying in two weeks and passed (i'm a nerd).

    I hear you, that's kind of why I posted this question. My supervisors were sending me to the bootcamp next week, but they cancelled it and moved it to May. I need to check and see if the policy in my group is that you need to take the class before receiving the voucher or if I can get the voucher ahead of time. I don't want to sit idol like you said, but I guess I just need to talk to them and see what they will allow me.
  • GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I can understand you. I'm in the military and fall under the DoD and even though it's not required for my current job, I know it will come down the pipeworks. It's like when they mandated more clearances, then security+, and etc as required by the 8500. Just to note, I didn't pay attention while in my boot camp class. It was watching the Shon Harris Videos and going through the book. The reason was it felt like super security+. How much experience do you have? If you have Sec+ at least with some idea of networks, you probably can push it before the test.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • rebelutionrebelution Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GForce75 wrote: »
    I can understand you. I'm in the military and fall under the DoD and even though it's not required for my current job, I know it will come down the pipeworks. It's like when they mandated more clearances, then security+, and etc as required by the 8500. Just to note, I didn't pay attention while in my boot camp class. It was watching the Shon Harris Videos and going through the book. The reason was it felt like super security+. How much experience do you have? If you have Sec+ at least with some idea of networks, you probably can push it before the test.

    I'm thinking that I have to take the class to get the voucher as the training is on a contract to my particular branch and I'm sure they included the voucher cost in the contract. I've got 7+ years of networking experience, mostly firewalls/vpn. No security+, only CCNA.
Sign In or Register to comment.