Options

IPv6 implications

KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
Hi,

I am trying to understand the potential problems faced if an organisation were to change over to IPv6 network, and what types of issues would be faced, software or hardware based.

Not sure if this is even correct but one I can think of might be firewall rules need to be updated and tested.

Can anyone provide some other examples.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    There is no "If they convert" IPv6 is here and we have to deal with it, if we don't, we will be left behind, My managed servers have already changed to IPv6, so I have to deal with it now.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    But what did you do or have you to do when you say deal you have to deal with it now?
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    KenC wrote: »
    But what did you do or have you to do when you say deal you have to deal with it now?

I started learning the IPv6 system 2 years ago, so I had a good handle on what I knew was coming. Those who don't want to deal with IPv6 now are going to have big problems in the future, IPv4 has very few numbers left, if you are not learning IPv6, you will.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.