Options

I need to ask for a raise..

2»

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    @BEADS I appreciate your zeal, but calling out a dude b/c you've had bad experiences with consultants in the past just ain't right.

Experience matters but passion will win out most times (baring intelligence limitations) b/c the guy with passion for a subject will make it an all consuming fire that will take him past anything experience can deliver. For example, I spend my nights, reading, practicing my skills, and doing pro-bono work for non-profits. My wife says I have no hobbies other than technology but technology is my hobby, more so it's my passion...

And btw, some of us have travel jobs and love our family. I travel 3-4 days a week on average and I spend more time with my kids and wife than some folks with 9-5 local jobs. It's all about how you plan and prioritize. So be careful to make sweeping statements that aren't facts.

I could say, most folks who work 9-5 for a single company don't have the experience I have and are limited in their skills because of it, and are lazy and content. Notice I said I could say this but I don't each person's reality is different.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guys, I personally enjoy b/eads posting here and would encourage him to post more of that. I like his approach, unforgiving and punishing.
  • Options
    Look being direct and real is fine, calling someone a liar is not ok. There's a difference between keeping it real and being an a$$. It really ruffles my feathers when people do that, I just hate, detest, loathe, when I see personal attacks on people.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LR0926 wrote: »
    I think there are more than a few of us here that would be happy to chip in.

I'll start the Gofundme site for him.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personal attacks and calling someone a liar is okay with me, as long as the one who does that believes it's true and has some evidence to support it.
  • Options
    kalkan999kalkan999 Member Posts: 269 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personal attacks and calling someone a liar is okay with me, as long as the one who does that believes it's true and has some evidence to support it.

But he suggested I was lying AND called me a fraud AND a mercenary directly, and is TERRIBLY wrong on all three accounts. And that is a foul. A foul I laughed off, but a foul nonetheless. Point is, BEADS is bitter and angry for a lot of the right reasons, but in truth, he's been giving me and others flak for failing before passing over the last three years because the test was easy for him. He's confident and competent to the point of arrogance, which is an asset going into a test like CISSP and other difficult exams. He is one of those who de-humanizes others who have a slightly lower IQ than himself. I know a LOT of people like him. Hard charging, former military. Probably an adrenaline junkie from being deployed or jumping out of perfectly good airplanes when he was in the military.

I laugh him off because I have worked, and continue to work with his type an awful lot. Their arrogance is usually only exceeded by their stubbornness, which often prevents them from viewing others as having exceptional reasons for not doing as well as himself on tests, hence the reason he took my original post WAY out of context on all three points I made!1 No, he'd rather presume that one's lack of abilities is the only reason for failure.
  • Options

It's not right, you contact someone on the side if you have an issue with them. To call them out is a bunch of BS and to do it on a forum is a form of cowardice in my opinion. I have no problem with folks disagreeing or questioning, but personal attacks are wrong.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kalkan999;

Unfortunately, we both seem to be stuck in our own respective patterns on this one. Yes, I vet constantly. The higher the number on the CISSP exam if they first, have one to begin with, second is so recent as to be in the seven figures - probably aren't worth the time. Lots of lying happening out there which is an immediate dismissal. Better yet. Candidate lies, admits to lying and sticks to the same story they just admitted to lying about! I have no answer for the utterly stupid, do you?

The really old ones of this field. Let's say the 150,000 and below or first generation CISSPs thought the second generation was lax and had it easy in comparison - we did cause we had Shon's first edition, they didn't. Starting to see my point? There is so much material out there that it should no longer matter how you need material delivered. You probably do very well with tasks that are more hands on or dexterous, learn by doing. Thats cool. Doesn't make a psychometric exam any easier I grant you that. Its still a psychometric exam and I could teach people til I am blue in the face as to how to beat these and they still will insist that there is one person writing all these exam questions for each individual company. Do some investigation and learn how these exams are really written and you might (gasp!) learn something. Ugh!

Second. I have never accused you of cheating the exam. Please go back through all the posts we have exchanged over the past what now, couple, three years? I question anyone's competence (competence - see my spell checker in action, lol) to sit for the exam when it takes up to six times? Not you but that's my running record on the subject. Add to that any number of admitted liars. Sorry, I have little to no trust in security people. You earn it the really hard way. Bad enough that IT and in particular the security portion of the industry seems like its a sub-plot of Mean Girls. Ethically immoral if not outright bankrupt through the core and to the other side. Of this there is no longer any doubt. CIA? Forget it. Ethics? Not when there is a paycheck involved. Same old story. Unfortunately, I have seen the story and how it ends before. It ain't my first rodeo.

Lastly, thank-you again from messing with my name or handle. Its just easy for me to remember. icon_redface.gif

Take care,

- b/eads
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    philz1982 wrote: »
    Look being direct and real is fine, calling someone a liar is not ok. There's a difference between keeping it real and being an a$$. It really ruffles my feathers when people do that, I just hate, detest, loathe, when I see personal attacks on people.

I missed the transformative where I accused anyone directly of being a liar or fraud. Though I have notes on (lets go through the notes themselves) 8 interviews, in person, that clearly lied, thus presented fraudulent representations about their education, exams or background. Why they made it past HR is still a complete mystery to me. It shouldn't be my job as a consulting architect (or whatever the latest trendy word for high level analyst) to vet candidates applying for a low to mid level position.

philz1982 I think you are reading what I would infer to be a guilt response to a stimulus. Such things are beyond my control. Mind control or otherwise. "kalkan999" has said before he, like everyone else, takes in and perceives the world a little differently than others. Perhaps this is one of those occasions. Unless, I see kalkan999 and the word fraud directly linked I am afraid you sir are guilty of another assumption. If not, I stand corrected.

- beads
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do they also have degrees in math stat + business and/or economics?

Also, don't many of the Wall Street guys have Ivy League degrees?
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    I'll give ya 'bout tree fiddy
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Do they also have degrees in math stat + business and/or economics?

Also, don't many of the Wall Street guys have Ivy League degrees?

The guys doing algo, quant stuff, sure. CISOs, I would say very few.
  • Options
    papadoc wrote: »
    The guys doing algo, quant stuff, sure. CISOs, I would say very few.

Cool. Also, I guess the reason they pay you the big bucks is that you found my post even though I forgot to reference which post I was referring to. icon_smile.gif

/creamy
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Cool. Also, I guess the reason they pay you the big bucks is that you found my post even though I forgot to reference which post I was referring to. icon_smile.gif

/creamy

Heh, being able to determine "context" is very important in the management area of security :)
  • Options
    The Synergy is strong with you. icon_cool.gif
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT